Induction question with logarithms

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the goal is to prove that 2^n > n^2 for every n>=5. The conversation explores using logarithms to solve the problem, but ultimately concludes that induction is a more effective approach. It is suggested to start by proving the statement for n=1 and then using induction to prove it for all n>=5.
Petkovsky
I have to prove that 2^n > n^2 for every n>=5

So...

2^k > k^2 /log base 2

log2(2^k) > log2(k^2)
k*log2(2) > 2*log2(k)
k/2 > log2(k)

So I'm stuck here and I am having problems solving for k, since i have it on both sides. I just need someone to gimme a slight push :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Petkovsky said:
I have to prove that 2^n > n^2 for every n>=5

So...

2^k > k^2 /log base 2
You mean take the logarithm, base 2, of both sides?
log2(2^k) > log2(k^2)
k*log2(2) > 2*log2(k)
k/2 > log2(k)

So I'm stuck here and I am having problems solving for k, since i have it on both sides. I just need someone to gimme a slight push :)
Generally speaking, equations that involve the unknown number both "inside" and "outside" a transcendental function, such as log2(x), cannot be solved algebraically. Even if you did "solve for k" how would that help you? You don't know that "2^k> k^2" to begin with. If you were doing an induction, and I see no sign of that here, you would be concerned with 2^(k+1)> (k+1)^2. I can see no good reason for introducing a logarithm.

To remind you of how induction works, you first prove that the statement is true for n= 1: is 21> 12?

If it is then you can assume that 2k> k2 for some k and try to prove that 2k+1> (k+1)2. Certainly 2k+1= 2(2k) so 2k+1> 2k2. How does that compare with (k+1)2= k2+ 2k+ 1? Can prove that k2> 2k+1? That is the same as k2- 2k> 1, k2-2k+ 1= (k-1)2> 2. Obviously, you will have to deal with the fact that this last inequality is not true for k= 1 or 2!

I recommend - forget about the logs. Too clever almost.

And you have not started your proof like an induction proof anyway.

The first steps of an induction proof is always the same and almost writes itself, so on the model of any example you have seen, write out explicitly on the model of induction proofs you must have seen

'If (for some n>=5 but you can even leave that out at least for the moment) 2n >= n2 then that will be true for the next n if ...

(:smile: I am saying it informally)

and see what you can do with that.

Edit. I think while I was posting HOI has shownwhat I meant.

Except I would not start by proving it for n=1 as you are asked for n>=5, and in fact it is not true for n=3.

Last edited:

I had to do it myself actually, but thank you for solving it anyway.

Good, it is far better for you to have done it yourself.

FAQ: Induction question with logarithms

1. How are logarithms used in scientific research?

Logarithms are used in scientific research to simplify and analyze large numbers or data sets. They can also be used to express exponential relationships and make calculations more manageable. In many cases, logarithms are used to transform data into a more linear form, making it easier to interpret and analyze.

2. What is the purpose of using logarithms in induction questions?

The purpose of using logarithms in induction questions is to help find patterns and relationships between different variables. By taking the logarithm of a set of data, it can be transformed into a linear form, making it easier to identify trends and make predictions.

3. Can logarithms be used in any type of induction question?

Yes, logarithms can be used in any type of induction question as long as it involves analyzing and predicting patterns or relationships between variables. Whether it is in mathematics, physics, biology, or any other field of science, logarithms can be a useful tool for solving induction questions.

4. How do you solve an induction question with logarithms?

To solve an induction question with logarithms, you first need to identify the pattern or relationship between the variables in the data. Then, take the logarithm of both sides of the equation to transform it into a linear form. From there, you can use algebraic techniques to solve for the unknown variable.

5. Are there any limitations to using logarithms in induction questions?

While logarithms can be a powerful tool for solving induction questions, there are some limitations to consider. For example, logarithms may not be effective for data sets with very small or very large values. They also cannot be used to find the exact value of an irrational number, as they only provide approximations.