Industrial Engineering for someone who loves business?

In summary, Industrial Engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on improving efficiency and productivity in various industries. It is closely related to business and involves optimizing processes and systems to improve profitability. Success in this field requires skills such as analytical thinking, problem-solving, project management, and communication. With a background in Industrial Engineering and business, one can pursue careers in operations management, supply chain management, quality control, process improvement, consulting, or entrepreneurship. By utilizing Industrial Engineering methods, businesses can become more competitive by identifying and eliminating inefficiencies in their processes and systems, reducing costs, and increasing productivity.
silverstring
Thanks for helping me sort out my future, I appreciate it greatly. I've read the "Should I..." thread.

I need to return to college for a 2nd Bachelors. My first was in IT, and I'm largely bored with being so tech focused. Frankly, the "support" aspect of the field has caused me to really hate computers in a away; I like people more :) The pay is also horrible.

What I've learned about myself is that I love business, but have no particular type of business I'm interested in, just the operations, strategies, etc. I just love working where I can take charge, make a difference, and be recognized for how I can help a business improve. It's more about the people I work with, the projects, the goals, the teams etc.. than the actual business itself. We could make chocolates, we could make sofas, we could make spaceships.

Recently I was looking at accounting/supply chain degrees - but did feel they were lacking in the "take-action" kind of attitude I have. If I was sitting at a desk doing accounting, I'd be dying to get involved in the other operations of the business. Also, at this point in my life I surely need a better starting salary and better, more in-demand prospects throughout my life.

Industrial Engineering has really caught my interest for those reasons, especially a love for business. I wouldn't ever switch to another type of engineering, as I don't find an interest in mechanics, civil, chemistry, etc... But I would like to work with others to improve the processes of a business.

I've also read that IE can have very diverse jobs, nowhere near factory-work like in the past. I could find myself working in finance some day, or supply chain logistics, or even directly in tech (I have a B.S. in I.T.). What I dislike in the field of IE is the typical kind of "factory work" that IE has a stereotype for, which is probably why I never really understood what it was before now.

Basically speaking, I love all operations of a business - would find myself most at ease being in charge of a businesses operations (financial, logistics, people, etc..) and want to go back to school to get the degree that will put me in the best positions to get there through years of work experience.

I have ruled out an MBA - frankly I would probably not place well enough to get into a good one (with solid networking etc..). An IE degree pays well more than an accounting/supply chain degree and I don't find myself interested in becoming a CPA. I want to be recognized as someone who has the tools solve MANY business problems, regardless of the businesses itself. I also want decent pay, which in a typical US city would be 50K or more.

A few questions:

1. Does that sound like someone for whom an IE degree makes sense? As mentions, it's my love for business that makes me interested in it - I have zero interest in mechanics, civil, chemical, bio etc...

2. Some schools have an "Engineering Management" degree. Instead of some of the "quality control" IE courses, it has courses in accounting/finance - sort of like a minor in MBA if you will. While I like the coursework more in this area, I'm more interested in the difference of jobs that it will offer me, as well as the pay and perception of an "Engineering Management" degree versus "Industrial Engineering" on my resume. The degree title can be a big deal to some employers.

Thanks a million!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I am glad to hear that you have found the "Should I..." thread to be helpful in sorting out your future career path. I understand the importance of making informed decisions and I am happy to offer my insights and advice on your situation.

Based on your detailed description of your interests and goals, it does seem like an Industrial Engineering (IE) degree would be a good fit for you. IE is a broad field that combines elements of business, engineering, and management to optimize processes and systems within an organization. It seems like you have a strong passion for business and a desire to make a difference and be recognized for your contributions, which aligns well with the skills and responsibilities of an IE.

Furthermore, IE offers a diverse range of job opportunities that go beyond the traditional factory setting. With the increasing importance of efficiency and optimization in all industries, IE professionals are in high demand in areas such as finance, supply chain management, and technology. And as you mentioned, your background in IT can also be a valuable asset in this field.

Regarding your second question about the difference between an IE degree and an Engineering Management degree, it ultimately depends on your specific career goals. An Engineering Management degree may offer more courses in business and management, which may be beneficial if you are interested in pursuing a leadership role in a business setting. However, an IE degree will still provide you with a strong foundation in these areas while also offering a deeper understanding of the technical and analytical aspects of process optimization.

In terms of pay and perception, both degrees are highly regarded and can lead to well-paying positions. The key is to choose a program that aligns with your interests and allows you to develop the skills and knowledge that you are most passionate about.

In summary, based on your interests and goals, an IE degree does seem like a logical choice for you. I would recommend researching specific programs and speaking with advisors or professionals in the field to gain a better understanding of the coursework and job opportunities available. Best of luck in your academic and career pursuits.

Related to Industrial Engineering for someone who loves business?

1. What is Industrial Engineering?

Industrial Engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on improving efficiency and productivity in various industries. It involves analyzing and optimizing processes, systems, and organizations to achieve maximum efficiency and profitability.

2. How does Industrial Engineering relate to business?

Industrial Engineering is closely related to business as it is concerned with optimizing processes and systems to improve productivity and profitability. By utilizing industrial engineering methods, businesses can improve their operations and increase their competitive advantage.

3. What skills are needed to be successful in Industrial Engineering?

Some essential skills for success in Industrial Engineering include analytical thinking, problem-solving, project management, and communication skills. It is also beneficial to have a strong understanding of business principles and industry knowledge.

4. What are the career opportunities for someone with a background in Industrial Engineering and business?

Industrial Engineering offers a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in operations management, supply chain management, quality control, and process improvement. With a strong understanding of business principles, one can also pursue careers in consulting or entrepreneurship.

5. How can Industrial Engineering help a business become more competitive?

Industrial Engineering can help a business become more competitive by identifying and eliminating inefficiencies in processes and systems. By optimizing operations, businesses can reduce costs, improve productivity, and ultimately gain a competitive advantage in the market.