Inelastic Car Crash problem. HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a red car rear-ending a stopped blue car at an intersection. The red car has skid marks starting from the point of impact and both cars ended up on opposite sides of the intersection. The question is whether the driver of the red car was speeding, but there is not enough information given. The suggestion is to use the conservation of momentum concept rather than numbers to solve the problem. However, the skid marks and final positions of the cars indicate that the red car was likely speeding. Clarification from a professor may be needed.
UniGal
The problem is: The red car rear ended the blue car(who was stopped at a stop sign, with handbrake partly on) the cars ended up seperately on the other side of the intersection. We are asked to explain what happened, was the driver of the red car speeding etc. I am unsure how to start this problem. We are not given any velocities. The red car has skidmarks starting from the exactly place of collision with the blue car. What formula would u use? How would i start it? To me it seems that we don't have enought info.
Cheers
Erin

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you are supposed to solve this one with numbers, but with the conservation of momentum idea. The red car was speeding, as shown by the skid marks beginning at point of impact. To make marks of any real length, you must be speeding, unless the accident occurred on some street with a high speed limit. To arrive at the other side of the intersection separately, since the blue car was stopped AND had the handbrake partially on (they drive like I do), the red car had to impart a big old impulse to the blue car. I think the skid marks are the key along with the final position of both cars. About how far is it across a typical 2-2 intersection? 30 feet or so? At 60 mph, you're going 88 feet per second. To hit something stationary and even dragging its feet and push it that far...that sounds like speeding was involved, but I don't really know. I can't puzzle it out. Can you bug your professor for clarification?

yeah thanks i'll give it another go.

FAQ: Inelastic Car Crash problem. HELP

1. What is an inelastic car crash?

An inelastic car crash is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the colliding vehicles is not conserved. This means that some of the energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the vehicles. Inelastic car crashes typically result in damage to the vehicles and potential injuries to the occupants.

2. How is the severity of an inelastic car crash measured?

The severity of an inelastic car crash is typically measured using the coefficient of restitution (COR). This is a value between 0 and 1 that represents the ratio of the velocity of separation after the collision to the velocity of approach before the collision. A COR of 0 indicates a perfectly inelastic collision, while a COR of 1 indicates a perfectly elastic collision.

3. What factors contribute to the inelasticity of a car crash?

There are several factors that can contribute to the inelasticity of a car crash, including the speed and mass of the vehicles, the angle of impact, and the materials and construction of the vehicles. Other factors such as road conditions and weather can also play a role in the inelasticity of a car crash.

4. How is the force of impact calculated in an inelastic car crash?

The force of impact in an inelastic car crash is calculated using the principles of momentum and energy conservation. The mass and velocity of the colliding vehicles, as well as the COR, are taken into account to determine the force of impact. This calculation can help determine the severity of the crash and the potential damage and injuries that may result.

5. How can we reduce the inelasticity of car crashes?

There are several ways to reduce the inelasticity of car crashes, including implementing safety features such as airbags and seatbelts, designing vehicles with crumple zones to absorb impact, and using materials that can better withstand collisions. Additionally, following traffic laws and practicing defensive driving can also help reduce the severity of car crashes.