Inelastic Collision on an inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem assigned by the teacher that is difficult for the speaker. They provide a picture of the problem and ask for someone to walk them through it, stating that they are not asking for the work to be done for them. The problem involves applying the law of conservation of energy and momentum to find the velocity and length of an object.
volpe923
Okay so my physics teacher assigned us with some problems to complete and one of them in particular is really confusing me. Attached is a picture of the problem. It just really throws me off when we have to keep it in variable form. So if someone can just walk me through it a little it would be very appreciated. I'm not asking you to do my homework, i just need a little help.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 843
Physics news on Phys.org
volpe923 said:
Okay so my physics teacher assigned us with some problems to complete and one of them in particular is really confusing me. Attached is a picture of the problem. It just really throws me off when we have to keep it in variable form. So if someone can just walk me through it a little it would be very appreciated. I'm not asking you to do my homework, i just need a little help.

Thanks,
Mike

Apply law of conservation of energy to find the velocity of 'm' till it reaches '2m'. Height can be calculated from diagram since angle is given.(h will come out 25m)
mgh =(1/2)mv2 + μ×(mg×cos30)×50m.
Solve this to find 'v'.
Apply law of conservation of momentum,
mv = (2m + m) v'.
v' = v/3.
Again apply law of conservation of energy,
(1/2)(3m)(v')2 = μ×(3mg)×(length'l').
Length 'l' is the required quantity which you will be able to calculate.
Enjoy.

Last edited:

Related to Inelastic Collision on an inclined plane

1. What is an inelastic collision on an inclined plane?

An inelastic collision on an inclined plane is a type of collision where two objects collide on an inclined surface and stick together after the collision. This means that both objects have the same final velocity and move together as one object after the collision.

2. How is the velocity calculated after an inelastic collision on an inclined plane?

The velocity after an inelastic collision on an inclined plane can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of energy equations. The final velocity can be found by equating the total initial momentum and the total final energy of the system.

3. What factors affect the final velocity in an inelastic collision on an inclined plane?

The final velocity in an inelastic collision on an inclined plane is affected by the masses and initial velocities of the objects involved, as well as the angle of the inclined plane. The coefficient of restitution, which represents the elasticity of the collision, also plays a role in determining the final velocity.

4. How is the coefficient of restitution related to an inelastic collision on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. In an inelastic collision on an inclined plane, the coefficient of restitution is 0 since the objects stick together after the collision. This means the collision is completely inelastic and there is no rebound of the objects.

5. What are some real-world applications of inelastic collisions on an inclined plane?

Inelastic collisions on an inclined plane are commonly seen in sports such as bowling, where the ball collides with the pins and sticks to them. This type of collision is also used in crumple zones of cars to reduce the impact force during a collision. Additionally, inelastic collisions on an inclined plane can be used in physics experiments to study the conservation of momentum and energy.