Inequality Challenge: Prove $1/(u-1)+1/(v-1)+1/(x-1)+1/(y-1)>0$

In summary, the purpose of the inequality challenge is to prove that the expression $1/(u-1)+1/(v-1)+1/(x-1)+1/(y-1)>0$ is always greater than 0, regardless of the values of the variables u, v, x, and y. This is an important concept in mathematics with real-world applications in economics and statistics. There are several methods for proving this inequality, including algebraic manipulation and mathematical induction. Key strategies for solving it include simplifying terms, using properties of inequalities, and considering the values of the variables. Useful mathematical concepts include the distributive property, properties of exponents and logarithms, and algebraic principles. Real-world applications include analyzing income
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Real numbers $u,\,v,\,x,\,y$ satisfy the following conditions:

$|u|>1$, $|v|>1$, $|x|>1$, $|y|>1$, and

$u+v+x+y+uv(x+y)+xy(u+v)=0$

Prove that $\dfrac{1}{u-1}+\dfrac{1}{v-1}+\dfrac{1}{x-1}+\dfrac{1}{y-1}>0$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Real numbers $u,\,v,\,x,\,y$ satisfy the following conditions:

$|u|>1$, $|v|>1$, $|x|>1$, $|y|>1$, and

$u+v+x+y+uv(x+y)+xy(u+v)=0---(1)$

Prove that $\dfrac{1}{u-1}+\dfrac{1}{v-1}+\dfrac{1}{x-1}+\dfrac{1}{y-1}>0---(2)$.
let :$xy+1=m\neq 0,\,\,uv+1=n\neq 0$
and $x+y=X,\,\, u+v=Y$
then (1) becomes $nX+mY=0---(3)$
we can consider (3) as a line passing through origin $(0,0)=(X,Y)=(x+y,u+v)$
and (2) becomes $\dfrac {2}{x^2-1}+\dfrac{2}{u^2-1}>0$

Albert said:
let :$xy+1=m\neq 0,\,\,uv+1=n\neq 0$
and $x+y=X,\,\, u+v=Y$
then (1) becomes $nX+mY=0---(3)$
we can consider (3) as a line passing through origin $(0,0)=(X,Y)=(x+y,u+v)$
and (2) becomes $\dfrac {2}{x^2-1}+\dfrac{2}{u^2-1}>0$

Hi Albert,

I thank you for your constant support in my challenge problems and I appreciate that 100%.

But, your solution to this particular challenge, I am sorry, I just could not follow it...do you mean to say $X=Y=0$, when $X=x+y$ and both $|x|$ and $|y|$ are greater than zero?

Perhaps you have your point there, but the rename of the variables, e.g. the one that uses $X$ to represent $x+y$ is quite confusing to me.

anemone said:
Hi Albert,

I thank you for your constant support in my challenge problems and I appreciate that 100%.

But, your solution to this particular challenge, I am sorry, I just could not follow it...do you mean to say $X=Y=0$, when $X=x+y$ and both $|x|$ and $|y|$ are greater than zero?

Perhaps you have your point there, but the rename of the variables, e.g. the one that uses $X$ to represent $x+y$ is quite confusing to me.
the linear expression of a line nX+mY+c=0 ,if passes through the origin then c=0 )
if x=3 then y=-3 ,and X=3+(-3)=0 ,u=5 ,v=-5 ,Y=5+(-5)=0
I mean X=x+y, and Y=u+v

Last edited:

FAQ: Inequality Challenge: Prove $1/(u-1)+1/(v-1)+1/(x-1)+1/(y-1)>0$

1. What is the purpose of the inequality challenge?

The purpose of the inequality challenge is to prove that the expression $1/(u-1)+1/(v-1)+1/(x-1)+1/(y-1)>0$ is always greater than 0, regardless of the values of the variables u, v, x, and y. This is an important concept in mathematics and has many real-world applications in fields such as economics and statistics.

2. How can I prove this inequality?

There are several methods that can be used to prove this inequality. One approach is to use algebraic manipulation and properties of inequalities to transform the expression into a simpler form that is easier to analyze. Another approach is to use mathematical induction, where the inequality is proven for a base case and then shown to hold for all subsequent cases.

3. What are some key strategies for solving this inequality?

Some key strategies for solving this inequality include identifying common factors or simplifying terms, using known properties of inequalities, and finding equivalent expressions that are easier to manipulate. It is also important to carefully consider the values of the variables and how they may affect the overall inequality.

4. Are there any specific mathematical concepts that are useful in solving this inequality?

Yes, there are several mathematical concepts that can be helpful in solving this inequality. Some examples include the distributive property, the properties of exponents and logarithms, and the rules for manipulating fractions. It is also important to have a strong understanding of basic algebraic principles and inequalities.

5. What are some real-world applications of this inequality?

This inequality has many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as economics and statistics. For example, it can be used to analyze income inequality within a population or to compare the distribution of wealth between different countries. It can also be used in optimization problems, where the goal is to maximize or minimize a certain quantity subject to certain constraints.