Inertial tensor remains diagonal during a shift along a principle axis

In summary, only if the shift vector ##R## is along one of the principal axes relative to the center of mass, will the difference tensor be diagonal in that system. This means that the new inertial tensor will also be diagonal. However, for an arbitrarily shaped object, it is not always possible for the shift vector to be along one of the principal axes, making the difference tensor not always diagonal. This is due to the requirement for the tangents of the cross sections to be parallel to the other lines, which may not be achievable in general.
Happiness
In the middle of the below paragraph: "only if the shift vector ##R## is along one of the principal axes relative to the center of mass will the difference tensor be diagonal in that system." I suppose the difference tensor means new inertial tensor ##-## old inertial tensor.

That means the new inertial tensor is also diagonal. Suppose we let the principal axis along which the shift happens be the ##x## axis. That means ##x_i## changes but ##I_{xy}## and ##I_{xz}## remain ##0##. By (5.7), that means that ##m_iy_i=0## and ##m_iz_i=0## for all values of ##x##, since the shift could be by any arbitrary amount in the ##x## direction.

However, this intuitively does not seem to be true in general for an arbitrarily shaped object.

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 12.52.01 am.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 12.52.55 am.png

Consider an object with a uniform cross section (drawn below). ##m_iy_i=0## (for all values of ##x##) means that for all points on line 1, ##\Sigma_i h_i=\Sigma_i d_i##, and ##m_ix_i=0## (for all values of ##y## [now we consider the shift along another principle axis, the ##y## axis]) means that for all points on line 2, ##\Sigma_i l_i=\Sigma_i r_i##. For these to be true, we must have tangent 1a and tangent 1b to be parallel to line 2, and also tangent 2a and tangent 2b to be parallel to line 1. But these seem unachievable in general for an arbitrarily shaped cross sections.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Therefore, only if the shift vector ##R## is along one of the principal axes relative to the center of mass will the difference tensor be diagonal in that system.

Related to Inertial tensor remains diagonal during a shift along a principle axis

1. What is an inertial tensor?

The inertial tensor, also known as the moment of inertia tensor, is a mathematical representation of an object's distribution of mass. It describes how an object's mass is distributed in relation to its rotation.

2. What does it mean for the inertial tensor to remain diagonal?

When the inertial tensor remains diagonal, it means that the tensor's components along the three principle axes do not change. In other words, the object's mass distribution remains unchanged in relation to its rotation along the principle axes.

3. What is a shift along a principle axis?

A shift along a principle axis refers to a movement or displacement of an object along one of its three principle axes. These axes are determined by the object's mass distribution and are typically referred to as the x, y, and z axes.

4. Why does the inertial tensor remain diagonal during a shift along a principle axis?

The inertial tensor remains diagonal during a shift along a principle axis because the object's mass distribution remains unchanged. This means that the object's moment of inertia, or resistance to rotation, remains the same along each principle axis.

5. What are the practical implications of the inertial tensor remaining diagonal during a shift along a principle axis?

The fact that the inertial tensor remains diagonal during a shift along a principle axis has important implications in physics and engineering. It allows for simplified calculations and predictions of an object's rotational motion, making it a valuable concept in fields such as mechanics, robotics, and aerospace engineering.