Infimum of a Set: Proving inf(A+B) = inf(A) + inf(B)

• Thread starter ╔(σ_σ)╝
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation discussed the proof that inf(A+B) exists and whether it is equal to inf(A) + inf(B). It was shown that inf(A+B) is indeed equal to inf(A) + inf(B) by deriving a contradiction and proving that inf(A+B) is a lower bound. The conclusion was that inf(A+B) = inf(A) + inf(B).
╔(σ_σ)╝

Homework Statement

Let A [tex]\subset[/tex] R and B [tex]\subset[/tex] R be bounded below and define A+B = {x+y| x[tex]\in[/tex] A and y [tex]\in[/tex]B}. Is it true that inf (A+B) = inf(A) + inf(B) ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I proved that inf(A+B) exist by doing the following.

[tex]inf(A) \leq x[/tex] and [tex]inf(B) \leq y[/tex] for all x and y so,

[tex]x- inf(A) + y-inf(B) \geq 0[/tex]

[tex]x + y \geq inf(A) + inf(B)[/tex]

So the set A +B is bounded below and therefore has a greatest lower bound; that is, inf(A+B) exist.

My next step was to show that inf(A+B) = inf(A) + inf(B).

To do this, I showed did the following: Suppose there is a number [tex]\alpha[/tex] which is a lower bound of A+B and [tex]\alpha[/tex] [tex] > inf(A) + inf(B)[/tex] . I tried to derive a contradiction.[tex]\alpha[/tex] [tex]> inf(A) + inf(B)[/tex] and since [tex]\alpha[/tex] is a lower bound...
[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]\leq x+ y[/tex] for all x and y ( which are elements of A and B, respectively )

[tex]\alpha = inf(A) + inf(B) + \epsilon[/tex]
[tex]\alpha = inf(A) + \frac{\epsilon}{2} + inf(B)+\frac{\epsilon}{2} [/tex]

We know that since inf(A) and inf(B) exist there is an [tex]x_{0}\in A[/tex] and [tex]y_{0}\in B[/tex] such that

[tex] x_{0} < inf(A) + \frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex] and

[tex] y_{0} < inf(B) + \frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex].

So this means

[tex]\alpha > x_{0} + y_{0}[/tex] which is a contradiction since [tex]\alpha[/tex] is a lower bound.

From this it is clear that
[tex] inf(A+B) = inf(A) + inf(B)[/tex]How is this ? Is it clear enough ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did I do something incorrectly ?

Looks good to me

Great! Thanks.

FAQ: Infimum of a Set: Proving inf(A+B) = inf(A) + inf(B)

1. What is the definition of an infimum of a set?

The infimum of a set is the greatest lower bound of all the elements in the set. In other words, it is the smallest value that is greater than or equal to all the elements in the set.

2. How is the infimum of a set related to the concept of limits?

The infimum of a set is closely related to the concept of limits as it represents the "limit" of the set in the sense that it is the smallest value that the elements in the set approach as they get closer and closer to it.

3. What is the significance of proving inf(A+B) = inf(A) + inf(B)?

This proof is significant because it allows us to understand the relationship between the infimums of two sets and the infimum of their sum. It also provides a useful tool for solving problems involving infimums of sets.

4. How do you prove that inf(A+B) = inf(A) + inf(B) for two sets A and B?

The proof involves showing that the infimum of the sum of two sets is less than or equal to the sum of their individual infimums, and also that it is greater than or equal to the sum of their individual infimums. This can be done by considering the definition of the infimum and using properties of real numbers.

5. Can this proof be extended to more than two sets?

Yes, the proof can be extended to any finite number of sets. The same logic applies, where the infimum of the sum of all the sets is equal to the sum of their individual infimums. However, it does not necessarily hold for an infinite number of sets.

Back