Infinite limit of complex integral

In summary, the conversation is about the infinite limit of a complex integral, specifically the function ln(1+a/z^n) on a semicircle C. The limit is proven to be 0 for n>1 and -j*pi*a for n=1. The person is questioning how (3) is obtained by substituting (2) into (1) and asks for help understanding the reason. The summary also mentions the sufficient conditions for the limit of an integral to be equal to the integral of the limit, including monotone convergence and majorizing convergence.
riquelme
Hi, I have a question about infinite limit of complex integral.
Problem: Consider the function [tex]ln(1+\frac{a}{z^{n}})[/tex] for [tex]n\ge1[/tex] and a semicircle, C , defined by [tex]z=Re^{j\gamma}[/tex] for [tex]\gamma\in[\frac{-\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}][/tex]. Then. If C is followed clockwise,
[tex]I_R = \lim_{R\rightarrow \infty}\int_C\ f(z)dz = 0 \: for \:n>1 :\and = -j\pi a \:for \:n=1[/tex]
Proof:
On C, we have that [tex]z=Re^{j\gamma}[/tex], then
[tex]I_R = \lim_{R\rightarrow \infty} \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{-\pi}{2}}ln(1+\frac{a}{R^n}e^{-jn\gamma})Re^{j\gamma}d\gamma [/tex] (1)
We also know that
[tex]Lim_{|x|\rightarrow 0} ln(1+x) = x [/tex] (2)
Then
[tex]I_R = lim_{R \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a}{R^{n-1}}j \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{-\pi}{2}} e^{-j(n-1)\gamma} d\gamma [/tex] (3)
From this, by evaluation for n=1 and for n>1, the result follows.

In fact, I don’t understand why we can get (3) by substituting (2) into (1). I mean changing the order of limit and integral here. Anyone knows the reason please help me.
Thank you and sorry for my bad Latex skill

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##f_n \to f##. Then sufficient conditions for ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \int_\Omega f_n(x)\,dx= \int_\Omega \lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(x)\,dx## are:
  1. monotone convergence: ##0 \leq f_n \nearrow f##
  2. majorizing convergence: ##|f_n|\leq c ## and ##\int_\Omega c < \infty##
  3. especially if ##\mu(\Omega) < \infty## and ##|f_n|\leq M \in \mathbb{R}## for all ##n \in \mathbb{N}##.

Related to Infinite limit of complex integral

What is an infinite limit of complex integral?

An infinite limit of complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves taking the limit of a complex function as its input variable approaches infinity. This means that the function is evaluated at larger and larger values of the input, and the resulting values are used to determine the behavior of the function at infinity.

How is an infinite limit of complex integral calculated?

An infinite limit of complex integral is typically calculated using techniques from complex analysis, such as Cauchy's integral formula or the residue theorem. These techniques involve using contour integration and other methods to evaluate the function and determine its limit at infinity.

What is the significance of an infinite limit of complex integral?

An infinite limit of complex integral is important in many areas of mathematics and physics, as it allows us to understand the behavior of complex functions at infinity. It can also be used to evaluate improper integrals and solve other problems that involve infinite limits.

Can an infinite limit of complex integral have multiple solutions?

Yes, it is possible for an infinite limit of complex integral to have multiple solutions. This can occur when the function has singularities or poles at infinity, which can lead to different values for the limit depending on the path taken to approach infinity.

How is an infinite limit of complex integral used in real-world applications?

An infinite limit of complex integral has many real-world applications, such as in the calculation of electric and magnetic fields in physics, or in the evaluation of complex integrals in engineering and finance. It is also used in the study of complex functions and their behavior, which has implications in fields such as fluid dynamics and signal processing.