Infinite series convergence question:

In summary, Stirling's formula provides a rigorous inequality that holds for all n > 1 (even small values of n).
Contingency

Homework Statement

Does [tex]\sum _{ n=1 }^{ \infty }{ \frac { { \alpha }^{ n }{ n }! }{ { n }^{ n } } } [/tex] converge [tex]\forall |\alpha |<e[/tex]
and if so, how can I prove it?

Homework Equations

[tex]{ e }^{ x }=\sum _{ n=0 }^{ \infty }{ \frac { { x }^{ n } }{ n! } } [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In the case of e I get the strange and probably wrong [tex]\sum _{ n=1 }^{ \infty }{ \frac { { (\sum _{ n=0 }^{ \infty }{ \frac { 1 }{ n! } } ) }^{ n }{ n }! }{ { n }^{ n } } } [/tex]
which seems to be the boundary between convergence and divergence for the series, but I have no idea how to actually make anything of this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Contingency said:

Homework Statement

Does [tex]\sum _{ n=1 }^{ \infty }{ \frac { { \alpha }^{ n }{ n }! }{ { n }^{ n } } } [/tex] converge [tex]\forall |\alpha |<e[/tex]

Homework Equations

In the case of e I get the strange and probably wrong [tex]\sum _{ n=1 }^{ \infty }{ \frac { { (\sum _{ n=0 }^{ \infty }{ \frac { 1 }{ n! } } ) }^{ n }{ n }! }{ { n }^{ n } } } [/tex]
which seems to be the boundary between convergence and divergence for the series, but I have no idea how to actually make anything of this.

Have you tried the ratio test for convergence?

Yup.
I tried it on [tex]\frac { { \alpha }^{ n }{ n }! }{ { n }^{ n } } [/tex]
and ended up with: [tex]\lim _{ n\rightarrow \infty }{ \frac { { \alpha }^{ n }{ (n+1){ n }^{ n } } }{ { (n+1) }^{ n+1 } } } [/tex] but I don't see anything relating alpha to e.. I also don't know how to calculate that limit, I'm guessing it's zero but that would mean it's independent of alpha(≠0)..

EDIT: typo correction:
[tex]\lim _{ n\rightarrow \infty }{ \frac { { \alpha }{ (n+1){ n }^{ n } } }{ { (n+1) }^{ n+1 } } } [/tex]

Last edited:
I'll try to manipulate the expression to get e out of the form of (1+1/n)^n

ah, I did the above and my result is that for any alpha>e the ratio test yields r>1 and for any alpha<e the ratio test yields r<1. I'll think about r=1

Contingency said:
Yup.
I tried it on [tex]\frac { { \alpha }^{ n }{ n }! }{ { n }^{ n } } [/tex]
and ended up with: [tex]\lim _{ n\rightarrow \infty }{ \frac { { \alpha }^{ n }{ (n+1){ n }^{ n } } }{ { (n+1) }^{ n+1 } } } [/tex] but I don't see anything relating alpha to e.. I also don't know how to calculate that limit, I'm guessing it's zero but that would mean it's independent of alpha(≠0)..

You need absolute values around that, and I don't think you get ##\alpha^n## after you simplify the ratio. Check that.

Contingency said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Use Stirling's formula for the asymptotic form of n!. You can even improve it to a rigorous inequality that holds for all n > 1 (even small values of n):
[tex] \sqrt{2\pi n} n^n e^{-n} < n! < \sqrt{2\pi n} n^n e^{\left(-n + \frac{1}{12n}\right)}.[/tex]
Note: the left-hand quantity above is Stirling's asymptotic approximation to n!; the right-hand quantity is an improvement, and it is surprising just how good it is: for n = 2 we get 2! = 2, but RHS = 2.000652048, 5! = 120, RHS = 120.0026371, etc. Various "simple" proofs of these inequalities are available; my favourite one is in Feller, "Introduction to Probability Theory", Vol. 1, Wiley 1968.

RGV

@MLCKurtz
Yes, I obtained alpha without an exponent, made a typo. Didn't forget the absolute value. Thanks
@Ray Vickson
Thanks for that reading material! I think i'll stick to my simpler idea, considering I don't have justifications to apply Stirling's formula (haven't gotten around to it yet).

Related to Infinite series convergence question:

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms, written in the form of ∑n=1 an where an represents each term in the series.

2. How do you determine if an infinite series converges?

There are various tests that can be used to determine if an infinite series converges, such as the ratio test, the comparison test, and the integral test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the terms in the series to determine if the sum of the series approaches a finite value or diverges to infinity.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series where the absolute value of each term decreases to zero as n approaches infinity. Conditional convergence, on the other hand, describes a series where the terms alternate in sign and the series converges when the terms are grouped together.

4. Can an infinite series converge to a negative value?

Yes, an infinite series can converge to a negative value if the terms of the series decrease in magnitude at a fast enough rate. This can occur with alternating series or with series that have a decreasing rate of growth.

5. Are there any real-life applications of infinite series?

Yes, infinite series are commonly used in various fields of science and mathematics, such as in calculus, physics, and engineering. They are also used in finance and economics to model growth and decay processes. Additionally, infinite series are used in computer algorithms to approximate functions and solve complex problems.