Infinite Series (Geometric) Problem

Ascendant0
Homework Statement
Use ## s = a/(1-r) ## to find the fraction that is equivalent to 0.678571428571428571...
Relevant Equations
Obviously ## s = a/(1-r) ##
As far as how far I've gotten, I split the non-repeating portion of the series apart from the repeating portion, set r as ## 10^{-6} ## and get this:

## 0.65+285714/9999990 ##

From here though, I don't see how to simplify that fraction without something extremely tedious, like pulling out every single factor I can from trial and error (beyond the obvious "2" factor), and seeing which ones cancel. But sure enough, it's possible, because their answer in the book is ## 19/28 ## and if I punch mine and theirs into a calculator to get the answer, I get the same answer for all 10 digits on the calculator. So, I know my answer is headed in the right direction, I just don't have a clue how you can simplify something like that without going through a bunch of trial and error factoring, or is that what you're expected to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not separate the non-repeating part of the fraction. I.e. 0.67.

Likes Ascendant0
PeroK said:
Why not separate the non-repeating part of the fraction. I.e. 0.67.
I did, it's actually 0.65, hence the "## 0.65 + 285714/9999990##". The first # is the non-repeating part, the second number (fraction) is the repeating part. So, essentially I'm trying to figure out the fastest, most effective way to simplify that fraction and get their ##19/28## answer out of it?

Likes PeroK
What's 9,999,990/285,714?

Last edited:
Likes docnet, Ascendant0 and FactChecker
PeroK said:
What's 9,999,990/285,714?
Ah, ok I see. So you flip the numerator and denominator, divide it that way, then after you simplify it that way, then swap the numerator and denominator back (and if it's a mixed number, simply convert the mixed number into a fraction, *then* flip it).

Wow, such an easy method, yet something I have never seen to date! You are awesome, thanks so much for the help!

Likes PeroK, FactChecker and Lnewqban