Infinite Series problem with cos involved.

In summary, the homework statement is trying to determine whether the series An and Bn are coupled or not. If they are coupled, then they either converge or diverge. However, if they are not coupled, then the series will diverge. The Attempt at a Solution was first trying to determine if the series was coupled and then changing the function Bn if it wasn't.
salazar888

Homework Statement

I have to determine whether the series converges or diverges.

[itex]\sum (cos^2 (n)) / n^2 +1 [/itex]

Homework Equations

Suppose An and Bn are series with positive terms. If the limit of An over Bn as n approaches infinity equals C, and C is a finite number greater than 0, then both series are coupled and they both either converge or diverge.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I let An to be cos^2 n / n^2 + 1 and Bn = cos^2 n / n^2. Therefore, Bn is greater than An for all n. I first used the sequence divergence test obtaining zero, meaningless. Then I used the Limit Comparison Test and the result was 1, which is greater than 0, meaning that they are coupled. Then I was trying to find the improper integral of cos^2 x / x^2, but I'm stuck because I don't really have anything to substitute there. I can't remember solving any integral like this one. I was wondering what other method I could use at this point. I know the series converges but I need to prove that. The only information I have from the limit comparison test is that my An and Bn are coupled. Should I find another Bn? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized I don't even meet the requirements to do integral test since cosine is not a continuous function. I apologize. I figure I have to change the Bn then. I would have to find a larger function than An that converges.

Although i don't get what ur talking about, may i ask u what is the upperbound of [tex]cos^{2}(n)[/tex]?

1?

ok Thanks I get it now. I didn't think I could use 1 / n^2 as my greater function. Then I can just use p-series at this point. I was trying to be as clear as possible, I've only been on the website for a couple of days.

FAQ: Infinite Series problem with cos involved.

1. What is an infinite series problem with cos involved?

An infinite series problem with cos involved is a mathematical problem that involves an infinite sum of terms, where each term contains a cosine function. The goal is to determine the value of the series, which may or may not converge to a finite value.

2. How do you solve an infinite series problem with cos involved?

Solving an infinite series problem with cos involved requires knowledge of techniques such as the ratio test, comparison test, and the integral test. These tests help determine whether the series converges or diverges. Additionally, one may use properties of trigonometric functions to simplify the terms of the series.

3. What are some common applications of infinite series problems with cos involved?

Infinite series problems with cos involved have many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of oscillations and waves. They also have applications in signal processing, electrical circuits, and celestial mechanics.

4. Can an infinite series problem with cos involved have multiple solutions?

Yes, an infinite series problem with cos involved can have multiple solutions. This is because the convergence or divergence of a series may depend on the specific values of the terms involved, and there may be more than one set of values that satisfy the conditions for convergence or divergence.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving infinite series problems with cos involved?

Yes, there are special techniques such as the Fourier series, which is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of sines and cosines. This technique is particularly useful for solving problems involving periodic functions. Additionally, one may use complex analysis to simplify the calculations involved in solving infinite series problems with cos involved.