Infinite Series: Uses & Applications

In summary, infinite series are used to calculate functions, such as sin and cos, that would be difficult to compute using traditional methods. Calculators and computers use a lookup table of pre-computed values from infinite series to quickly solve these functions. This makes them a useful tool for complex calculations. Even renowned scientist Isaac Newton used sequences, which are a type of infinite series, to solve problems.
CaptainADHD
Concept question:

What are they used for? I understand functions used for position/time/velocity etc., but what are infinite series actually used for?

Are they just a sum of numbers with no application? I'd like to know what I'm devoting my brainpower to before I spend massive amounts of time understanding their behavior and solution methods.

Physics news on Phys.org
A concrete application is how calculators are able to calculate such functions as sin, cos, and so on. They don't actually add up the terms in an infinite series, but use a lookup table that has values computed from one kind of infinite series.

A series offers a way to calculate functions that would be very difficult to work with otherwise, using only ordinary addition operations (add, subtract, multiply, divide), which can be done very quickly in a calculator or on a computer.

Mark44 said:
A concrete application is how calculators are able to calculate such functions as sin, cos, and so on. They don't actually add up the terms in an infinite series, but use a lookup table that has values computed from one kind of infinite series.

A series offers a way to calculate functions that would be very difficult to work with otherwise, using only ordinary addition operations (add, subtract, multiply, divide), which can be done very quickly in a calculator or on a computer.

Haha wow man, I never thought of that. They're like a doorway to the more complex functions. I also read that Newton used to use sequences and just integrate them at a point.

Thanks for the info

FAQ: Infinite Series: Uses & Applications

What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is an expression of the form ∑n=0∞ an, where an is a sequence of numbers. It is a sum of an infinite number of terms, with each term being added to the previous one.

What are the uses of infinite series?

Infinite series have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to approximate functions, solve differential equations, and analyze complex systems. They also have practical applications in finance, computer science, and data analysis.

What are some famous infinite series?

Some famous infinite series include the geometric series, harmonic series, and Fibonacci series. The geometric series is expressed as ∑n=0∞ arn, where a is the first term and r is the common ratio. The harmonic series is expressed as ∑n=1∞ 1/n. The Fibonacci series is a sequence of numbers where each number is the sum of the two previous numbers, starting with 0 and 1.

How are infinite series evaluated?

Infinite series can be evaluated using various techniques, such as the ratio test, root test, and comparison test. These tests help determine the convergence or divergence of a series. Other methods include the integral test, alternating series test, and Taylor series expansion.

What are the practical applications of infinite series?

Infinite series have practical applications in many fields. In finance, they are used to calculate compound interest and evaluate investment returns. In computer science, they are used in algorithms for data compression and image processing. In physics, they are used to model and analyze complex systems, such as fluid flow and electrical circuits.