Infinite Square Well (Quantum Mechanics)

In summary, the problem involves an electron trapped in an infinitely deep potential well of width 0.300nm. The first part of the problem asks for the probability of finding the electron within 0.100nm of the left-hand wall in its ground state, while the second part asks the same for the 99th excited state. The time-independent Schrödinger equation is used to solve for the eigenfunction psi(x), which is then used to find the wave function \Psi(x,t). The normalization of the wave function is needed to find the value of A. The correspondence principle is also mentioned in relation to the answers obtained.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

An electron is trapped in an infinitely deep potential well 0.300nm in width. (a) If the electron is in its ground state, what is the probability of finding it within 0.100nm of the left-hand wall? (b) Repeat (a) for an electron in the 99th excited state (n=100). (c) Are your answers consistent with the correspondence principal?

(This question comes from Serway / Moses / Moyer Modern Physics Third edition)

Homework Equations

[itex]P(x,t)dx = \Psi^*\Psi dx[/itex]

[itex]\Psi (x,t) = \psi (x) \Phi (t)[/itex]

[itex]\Phi (t) = e^{-i\omega t}, \omega = \frac{E}{\hbar}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the potential does not depend on time, I can use the time independent Schrödinger equation to solve for psi (x).

psi(x) = Asin(kx) + Bcos(kx)

[itex]E_n = \frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2m(.3*10^{-9})^2}[/itex]

[itex]k=\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar} = \frac{n\pi}{L}[/itex] , L=.3nmIn the regions associated with infinite potential, the eigenfunction psi = 0. Since it must be continuous along all regions, psi(0) = 0 = B.

So,

[itex] \Psi(x,t) = Asin(kx)e^{-i\omega t}[/itex]

And this should be the wave function, right?

Now I could use this to get information about the particle, but I need A first. How do I find A?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
normalization I suppose.

Related to Infinite Square Well (Quantum Mechanics)

1. What is the Infinite Square Well in Quantum Mechanics?

The Infinite Square Well is a theoretical concept in Quantum Mechanics that represents a particle trapped within an infinitely high potential well. This model is used to study the behavior of particles in a confined space, and is often used as an introductory example in quantum mechanics courses.

2. How is the Infinite Square Well solved in Quantum Mechanics?

The Schrodinger equation is used to solve the Infinite Square Well problem in quantum mechanics. The equation is solved using boundary conditions, such as the wave function being equal to zero at the boundaries of the well. The resulting solutions give us information about the energy levels and wave functions of the particle.

3. What are the energy levels in the Infinite Square Well?

The energy levels in the Infinite Square Well are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. The lowest energy level is called the ground state, and the energy levels increase in integer multiples of the ground state energy. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics known as the energy quantization.

4. What is the significance of the Infinite Square Well in quantum mechanics?

The Infinite Square Well is an important concept in quantum mechanics because it allows us to understand the behavior of particles in a confined space. It also introduces the idea of quantization, which is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics. Additionally, the solutions to the Infinite Square Well problem serve as a basis for solving more complex quantum mechanical problems.

5. What happens if the boundaries of the Infinite Square Well are not infinitely high?

If the boundaries of the Infinite Square Well are not infinitely high, the solutions to the Schrodinger equation will be different. The energy levels will still be quantized, but the wave functions will have different shapes. This can be seen in other potential well models, such as the finite square well or the harmonic oscillator potential.