Infinite Sum of Powers of x over 1-x^2

In summary, the question asks for the limit of a series $A_n$ as $n$ approaches infinity. The attempt given involves trying to convert the series into a telescoping one, but the solution is not found. Another approach is suggested, which involves looking at the sum of the first few terms, spotting a pattern, and using induction to find the formula for the sum of the first $n$ terms. The final result obtained is $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} A_{n} = \frac{x}{1-x}$, which is equivalent to both methods.
Saitama
Problem:
If $0<x<1$ and
$$A_n=\frac{x}{1-x^2}+\frac{x^2}{1-x^4}+\cdots +\frac{x^{2^n}}{1-x^{2^{n+1}}}$$
then find $\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}A_n$.

Attempt:
I tried to see if it can be converted to a telescoping series but I had no luck. Then, I tried this:
$$\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} A_n=\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{2^r}}{1-x^{2^{r+1}}}=\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} x^{2^r(2m+1)}$$
If I can figure out $\displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^{\infty} t^{2^r}$, the sum can be solved easily but I don't see a way to evaluate this.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
you can put

$\frac{x^{2^k}}{1- x^{2^{k+1}}}$
=$\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{1-x^{2^k}}-\frac{1}{1+x^{2^k}}) $

now you get sum of a series - sum of another series and you should be able to proceed

kaliprasad said:
you can put

=$\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{1-x^{2^k}}-\frac{1}{1+x^{2^k}}) $

now you get sum of a series - sum of another series and you should be able to proceed

That's what I tried when I thought of making it a telescoping series but I couldn't proceed after that. Writing down a few terms:

$$\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{1-x^2}-\frac{1}{1+x^2}+\frac{1}{1-x^4}-\frac{1}{1+x^4}+\frac{1}{1-x^8}-\frac{1}{1+x^8}\cdots \right)$$

I don't see where to proceed from here.

sorry for last entry which did not help

if you proceed as below you get telescopic sum

= $\frac{x^{2^k}+1-1}{1- x^{2^{k+1}}}$
= $\frac{1}{1- x^{2^k}}-\frac{1}{1- x^{2^{k+1}}}$

Pranav said:
Problem:
If $0<x<1$ and
$$A_n=\frac{x}{1-x^2}+\frac{x^2}{1-x^4}+\cdots +\frac{x^{2^n}}{1-x^{2^{n+1}}}$$
then find $\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}A_n$.
[Not sure if this is the same as kaliprasad's method.]

The basic hint is to look at the sum of the first few terms, then see if you can spot a pattern in these sums, guess a formula for the sum of the first $n$ terms, and finally let $n\to\infty$.

[sp]In fact, the first term is $\dfrac x{1-x^2} = \dfrac{(1+x) - 1}{(1+x)(1-x)} = \dfrac1{1-x} - \dfrac1{1-x^2}.$

Now add the second term, to get $\Bigl(\dfrac1{1-x} - \dfrac1{1-x^2}\Bigr) + \dfrac{x^2}{1-x^4} = \dfrac1{1-x} - \dfrac{(1+x^2) - x^2}{(1+x^2)(1-x^2)} = \dfrac1{1-x} - \dfrac1{1-x^4}.$

You should be able to see the pattern emerging ... .[/sp]

Opalg said:

The basic hint is to look at the sum of the first few terms, then see if you can spot a pattern in these sums, guess a formula for the sum of the first $n$ terms, and finally let $n\to\infty$.

[sp]In fact, the first term is $\dfrac x{1-x^2} = \dfrac{(1+x) - 1}{(1+x)(1-x)} = \dfrac1{1-x} - \dfrac1{1-x^2}.$

Now add the second term, to get $\Bigl(\dfrac1{1-x} - \dfrac1{1-x^2}\Bigr) + \dfrac{x^2}{1-x^4} = \dfrac1{1-x} - \dfrac{(1+x^2) - x^2}{(1+x^2)(1-x^2)} = \dfrac1{1-x} - \dfrac1{1-x^4}.$

it is different. mine is based on telescopic sum. your is based on induction ( see the pattern and predict the value)

In my opinion the result obtained by Kaliprasad and Opalg are fully equivalent so that the result seems to be...

$\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} A_{n} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{1-x} - \frac{1}{1 - x^{2^{n}}} = \frac{x}{1-x}\ (1)$

Kind regards$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
kaliprasad said:
sorry for last entry which did not help

if you proceed as below you get telescopic sum

= $\frac{x^{2^k}+1-1}{1- x^{2^{k+1}}}$
= $\frac{1}{1- x^{2^k}}-\frac{1}{1- x^{2^{k+1}}}$

Opalg said:

Thanks a lot Opalg and kaliprasad! :)

FAQ: Infinite Sum of Powers of x over 1-x^2

1. What is the sum of an infinite series?

The sum of an infinite series is the total value obtained when all the terms in the series are added together. It is calculated by adding up an infinite number of terms, which can be a challenging task.

2. How can the sum of an infinite series be calculated?

The sum of an infinite series can be calculated using various methods, such as the geometric series formula, telescoping series, or the ratio test. These methods involve evaluating the series and finding a pattern in the terms to simplify the calculation.

3. Can the sum of an infinite series be a finite value?

Yes, the sum of an infinite series can be a finite value if the series is convergent. This means that the value of the series approaches a fixed number as the number of terms increases towards infinity. However, if the series is divergent, the sum will be infinite.

4. What are some real-life applications of infinite series?

Infinite series can be found in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they are used to calculate the value of electric circuits, the behavior of fluids, and the growth of populations in biology. They are also used in financial calculations, such as compound interest and stock market analysis.

5. Are there any famous infinite series in mathematics?

Yes, there are many famous infinite series in mathematics, such as the Fibonacci sequence, the harmonic series, and the Riemann zeta function. These series have been studied extensively and have applications in various areas of mathematics, including number theory, calculus, and algebra.