Infinite summation for x^(1-x)

In summary, the conversation revolved around calculating the end product of a series and discussing whether the summation was correct and if there were any similar existing series. The first summation was proposed to converge at infinity but could not be proven with certainty, while the second summation was confirmed to be correct and could be verified using one of Euler's methods. The group also discussed a faster way to type summations using LaTeX. However, it was later discovered that the equality did not hold and the summation did not have a simple closed form.
Ashwin_Kumar
Along with some friends, i was trying to calculate the end product of a series(x^(1-x)). I for a finite value, i got a number close to arcsinh(SQRT 6), and by comparing the functions i believe it converges at infinity. However, i am unable to 100% prove this, and i am asking if the summation is correct in particular and whether a similar series is already in existence.

..[itex]\infty[/itex]
[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\chi^{1-\chi}=arcsinh(\sqrt{6})[/itex]
..[itex]\chi=1[/itex]
(PS does anyone know how to type summations much faster than using the sigma notation, then typing below and above etc. I am not too familiar with Latex

Another summation that i would like to confirm:
..[itex]\infty[/itex]
[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{\Gamma\chi}=e[/itex]
..[itex]\chi=1[/itex]
This can be derived by representing e^x with a summation.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ashwin_Kumar said:
Along with some friends, i was trying to calculate the end product of a series(x^(1-x)). I for a finite value, i got a number close to arcsinh(SQRT 6), and by comparing the functions i believe it converges at infinity. However, i am unable to 100% prove this, and i am asking if the summation is correct in particular and whether a similar series is already in existence.

..[itex]\infty[/itex]
[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\chi^{1-\chi}=arcsinh(\sqrt{6})[/itex]
..[itex]\chi=1[/itex]
(PS does anyone know how to type summations much faster than using the sigma notation, then typing below and above etc. I am not too familiar with Latex

Another summation that i would like to confirm:
..[itex]\infty[/itex]
[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{\Gamma\chi}=e[/itex]
..[itex]\chi=1[/itex]
This can be derived by representing e^x with a summation.

Oh, that thing we were discussing. I don't think so because the hyperbolic function at 1.6284 is zooming upwards, so it crosses 6.0002 rather than coming down to 6 itself.

The 2nd one is correct, you can verify it using one of Euler's stuff.

And there is a much simpler way than writing above sigma and below it. You can just use numberempire LaTeX. Of course, you can't copy paste the rendered equation. But just type the code here between [te.x] and [/te.x] (without dots)

For example, for typing [tex]\sum_{x=1}^{\infty}{x}^{1-x}=arcsinh\sqrt{6}[/tex] type:

[tx] \sum_{x=1} ^ {\infty} {x} ^ {1-x} = arcsinh \sqrt {6} [/tx] (with e between t and x)

The equality does not hold. The summation is approximately 1.628473712901584447055889143261883031650540316 whilst archsinh sqrt6 is approximately 1.6283069774000262046581136802999892614654729597107490837603. I very much doubt the summation has a simple closed form.

Related to Infinite summation for x^(1-x)

What is "Infinite summation for x^(1-x)"?

Infinite summation for x^(1-x) is a mathematical concept that involves adding an infinite number of terms together, where each term is calculated by raising x to the power of 1-x.

What is the formula for "Infinite summation for x^(1-x)"?

The formula for infinite summation for x^(1-x) is:
∑(x^(1-x)) = x^(0.5) / (1 - x)

What is the convergence criteria for "Infinite summation for x^(1-x)"?

The convergence criteria for infinite summation for x^(1-x) is that the absolute value of x must be less than 1 in order for the series to converge.

What are some real-life applications of "Infinite summation for x^(1-x)"?

Infinite summation for x^(1-x) can be used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to model natural phenomena, calculate probabilities, and solve optimization problems.

Are there any limitations to "Infinite summation for x^(1-x)"?

Yes, there are limitations to infinite summation for x^(1-x) as it only converges for certain values of x. Additionally, the series may not converge if the terms do not approach zero as n approaches infinity.