Infinitesimals in integration vs delta x in summations

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions regarding infinitesimals and converting summations to integrals. The answer explains that the notation ∫dxf(x) is the same as ∫f(x)dx and provides a physics class method for converting summations to integrals.
MrMultiMedia
Hi,
I first had a question regarding infinitesimals. What does it mean when the infinitesimal is at the beginning of the integral? For example:

∫dxf(x)
is this the same as
∫f(x)dx ?

My second question was how to convert a summation to an integral and a summation into an integral. Thanks a lot,

-MMM

Physics news on Phys.org
MrMultiMedia said:
Hi,
I first had a question regarding infinitesimals. What does it mean when the infinitesimal is at the beginning of the integral? For example:

∫dxf(x)
is this the same as
∫f(x)dx ?
Yes, those are just two different notations for the same thing.

MrMultiMedia said:
My second question was how to convert a summation to an integral and a summation into an integral. Thanks a lot,

-MMM
In a physics class (where mathematics is done without rigor), you just do something like this:
$$\sum_i F(x_i) =\sum_i \frac{F(x_i)}{\Delta x_i}\Delta x_i =\sum_i f(x_i)\Delta x_i \approx\int f(x) dx,$$ where ##f(x_i)=F(x_i)/\Delta x_i##.

If you want a rigorous answer, I think you will have to make the question more specific.

This may be more picky than necessary, but you are actually asking about the differential, dx. An "infinitesmal" is a completely different matter.

Related to Infinitesimals in integration vs delta x in summations

1. What are infinitesimals in integration?

Infinitesimals in integration refer to the concept of taking a limit as the size of the intervals approaches zero in order to find the area under a curve. It involves dividing the area into infinitely small rectangles and summing them up to get an accurate result.

2. How is this different from delta x in summations?

Delta x in summations is a similar concept, but it is used in discrete mathematics to represent the change in a variable. In summations, delta x represents the width of each rectangle being summed, while in integration, it represents the size of the intervals being divided.

3. Why do we use infinitesimals in integration?

Using infinitesimals allows us to find the exact area under a curve, rather than just an approximation. It also allows us to solve more complex integration problems and can be applied to a wide range of functions.

4. Are infinitesimals and delta x always interchangeable?

No, they are not always interchangeable. While they both involve taking a limit as the size of the intervals approaches zero, they have different applications and contexts. Infinitesimals are used in calculus and continuous mathematics, while delta x is used in discrete mathematics and algebra.

5. What are some common criticisms of using infinitesimals in integration?

One criticism is that the concept of infinitesimals is not well-defined and can lead to contradictions in mathematical reasoning. Another criticism is that it is not rigorous enough and lacks a solid foundation in mathematical principles. Some mathematicians prefer to use other methods, such as Riemann sums, to evaluate integrals.