Infinity: a concept or number?

In summary: I know, circular definition.)But you could also define "number" as "a member of any algebraic structure that has at least some of the properties of numbers as we usually think of them."There are lots of different algebraic structures, some of which have numbers in them. The real numbers are one such structure, the complex numbers are another, the integers mod 5 are another, the quaternions are another, the algebra of 2x2 matrices is another, the algebra of 3x3 matrices is another, and so on. Each of these structures has a different set of numbers. The real numbers are not the only numbers.Infinity is a number in some of these structures, and not others
Indeed, things like [itex][x,+\infty)[/itex] only have real numbers has elements. So infinity is not a member of the set. Furthermore, the notation "[itex]+\infty[/itex]" is nothing more than a notation. It is a notation for

[tex][x,+\infty) = \{y\in \mathbb{R}~\vert~x\leq y\}[/tex]

If you don't like the infinity, then other notations are

[tex][x,\rightarrow )~\text{or}~\uparrow x[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
revo74 said:
So you consider infinity to be a number?

...as part of what set? With what operations?

I don't understand why people on this forum respond the way they do to questions like these.

People asking these types of questions have little to no mathematical training. Trying to explain something like the extended reals to them just confuses the matter doesn't it?

Can we just assume these people are talking about the Reals? Simply because they obviously haven't studied or heard of anything else? Can't we just assume the question is "Is infinity in the Real number system?"

This way when someone asks this question, we can simply say: NO.

I really hate these threads, that are posted so often. And even when linked to the FAQ, the OPs don't read it.

Can we lock this? There is no math in it.

Diffy said:
Can we lock this? There is no math in it.

Agreed.