Infinity minus Infinity Question

• Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary: This one seems to have 1+1/2 left over in the beginning and it must have some form of an n value left at the end....In summary, Haruspex is saying that the problem does not converge and that I may have made a mistake by starting off with partial fractions.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
For each series, decide whether they converge or not:
k≥1∑2/(k(k+2))

So, I am trying to use the Integral test on this problem. After applying partial fractions I receive the answer of ln(x)-ln(x+2) from 1 to infinity.

Evaluating 1 is pretty straight forward.. ln(3). Which seems to be the correct answer.

Infinity, however, leaves me with ln(infinity) - ln(infinity). My initial thinking is that this is equal to 0 and all is well.

However, is it OK to evaluate this in such a manner? Infinity-infinity=0 ??
Or is that mechanically wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
For each series, decide whether they converge or not:
k≥1∑2/(k(k+2))

So, I am trying to use the Integral test on this problem. After applying partial fractions I receive the answer of ln(x)-ln(x+2) from 1 to infinity.

Evaluating 1 is pretty straight forward.. ln(3). Which seems to be the correct answer.

Infinity, however, leaves me with ln(infinity) - ln(infinity). My initial thinking is that this is equal to 0 and all is well.

However, is it OK to evaluate this in such a manner? Infinity-infinity=0 ??
Or is that mechanically wrong?
You certainly cannot subtract infinity from infinity (or divide infinity by infinity) and get a meaningful answer.
In the way you have solved the problem you have effectively rearranged a convergent series into two divergent ones. Consider this sequence:
1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + ...
Converges no problem.
Now rewrite it as (1-0) + (1-1/2) + (1-3/4) ... and rearrange as (1+1+1...) - (0+1/2+3/4+...). You see what has happened?
On the other hand, you are allowed to sum groups of adjacent terms of a convergent series without changing the order. 1+1/2+1/4+... can be processed (if it helps) as (1+1/2)+(1/4+1/8)+... After splitting up your original terms using partial fractions, can you see how to apply that?

Likes RJLiberator
Use log laws to rewrite the expression $$\ln x-\ln(x+2)=\ln\frac{x}{x+2}$$ and then take the limit.

Likes RJLiberator
Beautiful. Well understood and makes much more sense. So the limit turns out to be 1.

Does this mean my final answer is 1+ln(3) ?
This seems incorrect as when I plug in the initial integral into calculators the answer is just ln(3)

:/ Or is this just off by a constant?

RJLiberator said:
Beautiful. Well understood and makes much more sense. So the limit turns out to be 1.

Does this mean my final answer is 1+ln(3) ?
This seems incorrect as when I plug in the initial integral into calculators the answer is just ln(3)

:/ Or is this just off by a constant?

The limit should be ##\lim\limits_{x\rightarrow\infty}\ln\frac{x}{x+1}=\ln 1=0##.

Likes RJLiberator
Ah, I see. Thank you kindly.

haruspex said:
You certainly cannot subtract infinity from infinity (or divide infinity by infinity) and get a meaningful answer.
In the way you have solved the problem you have effectively rearranged a convergent series into two divergent ones. Consider this sequence:
1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + ...
Converges no problem.
Now rewrite it as (1-0) + (1-1/2) + (1-3/4) ... and rearrange as (1+1+1...) - (0+1/2+3/4+...). You see what has happened?
On the other hand, you are allowed to sum groups of adjacent terms of a convergent series without changing the order. 1+1/2+1/4+... can be processed (if it helps) as (1+1/2)+(1/4+1/8)+... After splitting up your original terms using partial fractions, can you see how to apply that?

Haruspex, I am trying to decipher your quote. Are you saying that I made a mistake by starting off with partial fractions and thus corrupting the problem?

Have you thought about a simple comparison test with ##\sum\frac 2 {k^2}##?

Likes RJLiberator
LCKurtz said:
Have you thought about a simple comparison test with ##\sum\frac 2 {k^2}##?

Ha..Ha... I... see what you did there.

Brilliant. Ah well, I am glad I am working out more then one way, but THIS way is by far and away the most simple and what the assignment was going for. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

RJLiberator said:
Haruspex, I am trying to decipher your quote. Are you saying that I made a mistake by starting off with partial fractions and thus corrupting the problem?
No, partial fractions was an excellent start. But instead of the extracting each fraction form into a separate series, you do better merely to regroup the terms at a more local level. Write out the first, say, 4 terms of your pair of partial fractions. I.e. 1st term first fraction, 1st term second fraction, etc. Notice anything?

Likes RJLiberator
After writing them out, there is a very clear decreasing pattern.
It seems to be:
(1-1/3)(1/2-1/4)(1/3-1/5)...
(1/n-1/(n+2))

hm, It appears there is some common pattern here that I am unfamiliar with and thus, it is not popping out to me.

RJLiberator said:
(1-1/3)(1/2-1/4)(1/3-1/5)...
Why are you multiplying the terms together. It's a sum, no?

Likes RJLiberator
Oh, I mean addition, not multiplication.
This appears to be some form of a telescoping series.

It is not clearly visible to me because I am used to the very basic telescoping series.

This one seems to have 1+1/2 left over in the beginning and it must have some form of an n value left at the end.
Hm.

RJLiberator said:
This one seems to have 1+1/2 left over in the beginning
Right.
RJLiberator said:
some form of an n value left at the end.
.. which in the limit tend to what?

Likes RJLiberator
Hm. The limit would have them going to 0.

So, 1+1/2 seems to be the sum. Is that correct?

RJLiberator said:
Hm. The limit would have them going to 0.

So, 1+1/2 seems to be the sum. Is that correct?
Yes!

Likes RJLiberator
Ah, absolutely beautiful. The telescoping series is quickly becoming one of my favorite series. It seems to appear due to partial fractions.

If anyone is checking this thread:

Is the sum from 0 to infinity of (k^(1/2)+2)/(k+5) in perfect form for the p-series test? p = 1/2 or is this NOT true due to the addition of 2 and 5.

RJLiberator said:
Is the sum from 0 to infinity of (k^(1/2)+2)/(k+5) in perfect form for the p-series test? p = 1/2 or is this NOT true due to the addition of 2 and 5.
It is a forum standard that a new question requires a new thread ;)

Likes RJLiberator
Np, thanks haruspex for all of your insight. I appreciate it, greatly.

Related to Infinity minus Infinity Question

1. What is infinity minus infinity?

Infinity minus infinity is a mathematical expression that represents the difference between two infinite quantities. It is often used in calculus to describe limits or in set theory to compare the sizes of infinite sets.

2. Is infinity minus infinity always equal to zero?

No, infinity minus infinity can have different values depending on the context. In some cases, it may be equal to zero, but in others, it may be undefined or have a different value. It is important to carefully define the terms and context when dealing with infinity minus infinity.

3. Can infinity be subtracted from infinity?

In mathematics, infinity is not considered a number, so it cannot be used in traditional arithmetic operations like subtraction. However, in certain mathematical contexts, it is possible to subtract an infinite quantity from another infinite quantity and obtain a finite result.

4. How do mathematicians deal with infinity minus infinity?

Mathematicians use different approaches and theories to deal with infinity minus infinity, depending on the context of the problem. Some common methods include limits, set theory, and calculus. These approaches help to define and understand the concept of infinity and its operations.

5. Can infinity minus infinity ever be a positive or negative value?

Yes, depending on the context, infinity minus infinity can have a positive or negative value. For example, in set theory, the cardinality of one infinite set may be larger or smaller than another infinite set, resulting in a positive or negative value for infinity minus infinity. However, in calculus, the result is typically undefined or equal to zero.