Info on wave mechanics prob in one dimension need

In summary, the conversation is about two questions, the first one involving using induction to show a relation between two equations and the second one about infinitesimal translation. For part A, the person is stuck on how to connect the two equations and for part B, they are unsure about the use of a dirac delta function in the equation and are asked to clarify their problem.
belleamie
Hi there, i need help in a couple of questions that I'm just stumped
one of them :
A) use induction to show that
[ x (hat)^n, p(hat) sub "x" ] = i (hbar)n x(hat)^(n-1)

- so far I've figured out this equation is in relation to solve the above eq, but I'm not entirely sure how to connect the two
[ f (x (hat)), p(hat) sub "x"] = i h(bar) (partial F/ partial x) * (x (hat))

B) I'm not sure how to show the symbol "pitch fork" but i will refer to it as "tsi"

Show for infinitesimal translation for
|tsi> --> |tsi'> =T(hat) (dirac delta x)|tsi>
that <x> ---> <x> + dirac delta x and
< P (as in momentum) sub x > ----> < P subx >

SO far I have gotten {T is for hte translator)
<tsi| T(hat with dagger) (diarc delta x) x T hat (diarc delta x)| tsi>
= <tsi| (1+(idelta sub x P hat sub x/ hbar) x hat (1- i diarc delta x P sub x /hbar) |tsi>

I don't know where to go from there tho...

Physics news on Phys.org
For part A, have you written out your induction hypothesis and verified that the first case is satisfied? Once you've done this, you might try multiplying both sides by x (from the left) and seeing what you can do. As for the formula you have given, I wouldn't think you could use that since its basically what you're trying to prove. If you can use it, you might want to look at the special case where f is a power of x.

For part B, you're post seems somewhat confusing. Why do you have dirac delta functions in your equation [tex] |\psi'\rangle = \hat{T} |\psi \rangle [/tex]? As I read it now, it looks somewhat nonsensical. Could you check the problem again and then try to be a little more clear about what you're trying to do?

Related to Info on wave mechanics prob in one dimension need

1. What is wave mechanics?

Wave mechanics, also known as quantum mechanics, is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of objects at the atomic and subatomic level. It describes the motion and interactions of particles, such as electrons, in terms of their wave-like properties.

2. What is a one-dimensional wave?

A one-dimensional wave is a wave that travels in a single direction and is confined to a single dimension. In other words, it only varies in one direction, such as left to right or up and down, and does not extend in any other direction.

3. How is wave mechanics used in one-dimensional problems?

Wave mechanics is used in one-dimensional problems to describe the behavior of particles, such as electrons, in a confined space. It helps us understand how these particles move and interact with each other within a one-dimensional system.

4. What are some applications of one-dimensional wave mechanics?

One-dimensional wave mechanics has many applications in various fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics, solid state physics, and materials science. It is used to study the properties of materials, electronic devices, and quantum systems.

5. What are the basic principles of one-dimensional wave mechanics?

The basic principles of one-dimensional wave mechanics include the wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, and the superposition principle. These principles help us understand the behavior of particles in a one-dimensional system and make predictions about their movement and interactions.