Information on Mechanical Engineering

In summary, mechanical engineering is a broad field and can involve a variety of tasks such as design work, stress analysis, thermal-fluids work, failure analysis, vibration analysis, and project management. Some engineers may also work on automatic control systems. A typical work day for a mechanical engineer may involve computer-based analysis work, creating predictions and managing heat for chemical reactions, and writing software. Some ME's may also have hands-on involvement in running portions of a chemical plant.
jizhakov5

Homework Statement

Hello i am majoring in engineering and i would like to know from the mouth of an engineer what you guys do all day, what is the average work day like? is it all calculations and math or is it hands on building things?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It can be just about anything. My career was spent working for a chemical company doing analysis work in the area of heat transfer. Mechanical engineering is very broad. We had ME's who did design work, who did stress analysis, who did thermal-fluids work, who did failure analysis, who did analysis in the vibration area, and who wrote analysis software for others to use. There is also project type work where ME's manage projects and utilize other engineers to do the number crunching work. Other ME's, along with EE's, did automatic control work. The field is very broad.

My days were spend at a computer terminal doing analysis work, making predictions about how long something would take to cool or heat, managing heat to control chemical reactions, doing thermal stress work, and vibration analysis. My work included writing software for others to use in the thermal-fluids area.

I was always involved with an analyis group so I never was involved in running portions of the chemical plant. Those ME's who did that certainly were.

FAQ: Information on Mechanical Engineering

1. What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a discipline that combines principles of engineering, physics, and materials science to design, manufacture, and maintain mechanical systems. This can include anything from cars and airplanes to medical devices and robots.

2. What do mechanical engineers do?

Mechanical engineers use their knowledge of mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials to design and develop mechanical systems. They may also be involved in testing, maintenance, and troubleshooting of these systems.

3. What skills are important for a career in mechanical engineering?

Some important skills for a career in mechanical engineering include strong math and science abilities, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software.

4. What are some common applications of mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering has a wide range of applications, including automotive engineering, aerospace engineering, robotics, HVAC systems, and manufacturing processes. Mechanical engineers may also work in industries such as energy production, healthcare, and biotechnology.

5. What education is needed to become a mechanical engineer?

Most mechanical engineering positions require at least a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Some may pursue a graduate degree for advanced research or teaching positions. Continuing education and professional development courses are also important for staying current in the field.

Back