Infrared spectroscopy to find water absorption lines

In summary: Increasing the distance between the detector and the water will also increase the sensitivity of the detector.In summary, this equation tells you how to find the absorbance of the spectrum of a light beam passed through water. You get I(w,L) from measuring the spectrum of the light you are using after it has passed through the water. While I(w,0) is the spectrum of your light source itself, that is the spectrum you get by placing the spectrometer directly in front your light source, with nothing in between.
bertopolis
Hi I am currently trying to find the water absorption lines by using a Michelson interferometer, as a detector I am using an ocean spectrometer. The data obtained is thus the spectrum's "received" by the spectrometer. Am I right to assume that in order to find the absorption peak/peaks I should integrate the spectrum's obtained (between 700 and 1000nm), the plot of these would be a signal graph, which once this is Fourier transformed should give me the absorption lines? I am currently doing this using python and the results obtained are very misleading and unclear. The Fourier Transform's obtained will be attached to this post.
Thanks for any help

Attachments

• againcrap.png
    againcrap.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 542
  • fftwierd.png
    fftwierd.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 547
  • otherfirst.png
    otherfirst.png
    2 KB · Views: 579
Science news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the method you described there, did you read this from certain literature or were you told by someone?
Anyway why not using Beer-Lambert's law? From this you can get absorbance.

I did this due to equipment limitations, I haven't heard of this law, and I don't exactly understand how it works. Could you please explain this?

You have basically everything to make use of this equation because what you need is just a spectrometer. Beer-Lambert law states that ## I(\omega,L) = I(\omega,0) e^{-a(\lambda)L} ## where ## I(\omega,L) ## and ## I(\omega,0) ## are the power spectrum (spectrometer signal) of the output and input light beam respectively, and L is the medium length (in this case the distance traveled in the water). The absorbance is defined as ## a(\lambda)L ##. So if you know both power spectra you can get the absorbance.

However remember that what you get from that calculation is the absorbance, which slightly different from absorption spectrum. They are equal only for small absorption, but if what you interested in is just the absorption peaks, this method should work.

Last edited:
Likes bertopolis
That's brilliant and extremely helpful, thanks. SO does that mean the values I have from the spectrometer is I(w,z)-I(w,0) ? Is there anyway I could reach this equation from the values I have already obtained?

You get I(w,L) from measuring the spectrum of the light you are using after it has passed through the water. While I(w,0) is the spectrum of your light source itself, that is the spectrum you get by placing the spectrometer directly in front your light source, with nothing in between. From this ## I(\omega,L) = I(\omega,0) e^{-a(\lambda)L} ##, I suppose you know how to extract ## a(\lambda)L ##.
I don't know how strong the absorption of water within infrared region is, but in case you notice that the absorption is too weak to observe you can try to increase L.

Likes bertopolis

Related to Infrared spectroscopy to find water absorption lines

1. What is infrared spectroscopy?

Infrared spectroscopy is a technique used in chemistry and physics to identify and study the chemical structure of molecules. It involves the absorption of infrared light by molecules, which produces a unique spectrum that can be used to identify the types of chemical bonds present in a sample.

2. How does infrared spectroscopy detect water absorption lines?

Water absorption lines can be detected using infrared spectroscopy because water molecules have specific vibrational frequencies that correspond to the absorption of infrared light. When a sample containing water is exposed to infrared radiation, the water molecules will absorb specific wavelengths of light, resulting in dips or peaks in the spectrum that can be used to identify the presence of water.

3. What is the importance of identifying water absorption lines using infrared spectroscopy?

Identifying water absorption lines using infrared spectroscopy is important because water is a crucial molecule in many chemical and biochemical processes. By studying the absorption lines, we can gain insights into the molecular structure and interactions of water, which can have implications in fields such as environmental science, biology, and material science.

4. What are some practical applications of using infrared spectroscopy to find water absorption lines?

Infrared spectroscopy is commonly used in environmental monitoring to detect and quantify water pollutants. It is also used in the food and pharmaceutical industries to ensure the purity and quality of products. Additionally, it is used in research to study the properties of water and its interactions with other molecules.

5. Are there any limitations to using infrared spectroscopy to detect water absorption lines?

One limitation of using infrared spectroscopy to detect water absorption lines is that it is only sensitive to the presence of water molecules, not the amount. This means that it cannot accurately measure the concentration of water in a sample. Additionally, other molecules in the sample may also absorb infrared light, making it challenging to distinguish between different absorption lines.