Inhomogeneous damped wave equation

In summary: I do the auxilliary equation first and try to find the solutions to that?The second approach is more general, but may not always give a solution that is useful.
bobred

Homework Statement

Solve
[tex]u_{tt}(x,t)+2u_{t}(x,t)-u_{xx}(x,t)=18\sin\left(\dfrac{3\pi x}{l}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\omega=\frac{\pi n c}{l}[/tex]
Boundary conditions
[tex]u(0,t)=u(l,t)=0[/tex]
[tex]l<\pi[/tex]
Initial conditions
[tex]u(x,0)=u_t(x,0)=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

[/B]
The general inhomogeneous damped wave equation is
[tex]u_{tt}(x,t)+2\mu u_{t}(x,t)-c^{2}u_{xx}(x,t)=p(x,t)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By separation of variables the position dependent part is
[tex]f(x)=a\cos(kx)+b\sin(kx)[/tex]
and the time dependent part auxilliary equation is
[tex]\lambda^2+2\mu\lambda+\omega^2=0[/tex]
which takes one of three expressions depending on the sign of [itex]\mu-\omega[/itex]

So from what is given I would say [itex]\mu=1[/itex] and [itex]c^2=1[/itex] and with
[itex]\omega=\frac{\pi n c}{l}[/itex] and [itex]l<\pi[/itex] then [itex]\mu<\omega[/itex] which is weak damping

[tex]g_{n}(t)=\left(A_{n}\cos\left(\Omega t\right)+B_{n}\sin\left(\Omega t\right)\right)e^{-\mu t}[/tex]

where [tex]\Omega=\sqrt{\omega^{2}-\mu^{2}}[/tex]

Is this correct so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
bobred said:

Homework Statement

Solve
[tex]u_{tt}(x,t)+2u_{t}(x,t)-u_{xx}(x,t)=18\sin\left(\dfrac{3\pi x}{l}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\omega=\frac{\pi n c}{l}[/tex]
Boundary conditions
[tex]u(0,t)=u(l,t)=0[/tex]
[tex]l<\pi[/tex]
Initial conditions
[tex]u(x,0)=u_t(x,0)=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

[/B]
The general inhomogeneous damped wave equation is
[tex]u_{tt}(x,t)+2\mu u_{t}(x,t)-c^{2}u_{xx}(x,t)=p(x,t)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By separation of variables the position dependent part is
[tex]f(x)=a\cos(kx)+b\sin(kx)[/tex]
and the time dependent part auxilliary equation is
[tex]\lambda^2+2\mu\lambda+\omega^2=0[/tex]
which takes one of three expressions depending on the sign of [itex]\mu-\omega[/itex]

So from what is given I would say [itex]\mu=1[/itex] and [itex]c^2=1[/itex] and with
[itex]\omega=\frac{\pi n c}{l}[/itex] and [itex]l<\pi[/itex] then [itex]\mu<\omega[/itex] which is weak damping

[tex]g_{n}(t)=\left(A_{n}\cos\left(\Omega t\right)+B_{n}\sin\left(\Omega t\right)\right)e^{-\mu t}[/tex]

where [tex]\Omega=\sqrt{\omega^{2}-\mu^{2}}[/tex]

Is this correct so far?

I think you're on the right track, but separation of variables is mostly useful for homogeneous partial differential equations. Here's a trick to solving the inhomogeneous case:

You want a solution to [itex]u_{tt}(x,t)+2u_{t}(x,t)-u_{xx}(x,t)=18\sin\left(\dfrac{3\pi x}{l}\right)[/itex]

Try writing [itex]u(x,t) = A(x,t) + B(x)[/itex] and choose [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] so that:

[itex]A_{tt}(x,t)+2A_{t}(x,t)-A_{xx}(x,t)=0[/itex]

[itex]-B_{xx}(x) = 18\sin\left(\dfrac{3\pi x}{l}\right)[/itex]

Then the approach you're describing will give you a solution to [itex]A(x,t)[/itex]

Likes bobred
Hi, thanks, that's great but we are asked to solve the homogeneous part by separation of variables first. Is what I have done ok? Is it weak damping?

bobred said:
Hi, thanks, that's great but we are asked to solve the homogeneous part by separation of variables first. Is what I have done ok? Is it weak damping?

Yes, you have the solution to the homogeneous equation (except for the constants [itex]A_n[/itex] and [itex]B_n[/itex]). Comparing with your original equation, [itex]\mu = 1[/itex] and [itex]c=1[/itex]

Likes bobred
Thanks, I wanted confirmation I had the right damping.

So with the boundary conditions the general solution of the homogeneous equation is
[tex]u(x,t)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}b_{n}\sin(kx)\left(A_{n}\cos\left(\Omega t\right)+B_{n}\sin\left(\Omega t\right)\right)e^{- t}[/tex]
My course text is a bit confusing but to get the particular solution should I start with
[tex]u(x,t)=\sin\left( k_nx \right)g(t) [/tex] and then solve
[tex]g^{\prime\prime}+2g^\prime+\omega^2_ng=18\sin\left( \frac{3\pi x}{l} \right)[/tex]

Related to Inhomogeneous damped wave equation

1. What is an inhomogeneous damped wave equation?

An inhomogeneous damped wave equation is a type of partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a wave in a medium that is both damped and non-uniform. It takes into account the effects of both damping and spatial variations in the medium on the propagation of the wave.

2. What are the applications of the inhomogeneous damped wave equation?

The inhomogeneous damped wave equation has applications in various fields such as acoustics, seismology, optics, and electromagnetic theory. It is used to model the behavior of waves in these different mediums, allowing scientists to better understand and predict wave propagation in various scenarios.

3. How is the inhomogeneous damped wave equation different from the homogeneous damped wave equation?

The homogeneous damped wave equation only takes into account the effects of damping on the wave, while the inhomogeneous damped wave equation also considers spatial variations in the medium. This makes the inhomogeneous equation more complex and allows for a more accurate description of wave behavior in real-world scenarios.

4. What is the role of damping in the inhomogeneous damped wave equation?

Damping is a term used to describe the dissipation of energy in a wave as it propagates through a medium. In the inhomogeneous damped wave equation, damping is represented by a damping coefficient that determines the rate at which the amplitude of the wave decreases over time.

5. How is the inhomogeneous damped wave equation solved?

The inhomogeneous damped wave equation can be solved using various mathematical methods such as separation of variables, Fourier transforms, or numerical methods. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy in the solution.