Initial value problem differentials, close to getting answer

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an initial value problem involving the equation y" + 2y' + 10y=0. The general solution is given as yg= c1e^t( cos 3t + i sin 3t) + c2e^t( cos 3t - i sin 3t), with the constants c1 and c2 needing to be solved for. However, there is confusion about the presence of c2 next to sin 3t and the absence of a y2 term. The correct solution is found to be yg= e^-t cos 3t, with the
itunescape

Homework Statement

y" + 2y' + 10y=0
y(0)=1
y'(0)= -1

solve initial value problem

Homework Equations

e^( ~ + iu)t= e^ ~t (cos ut + i sin ut)

The Attempt at a Solution

i've gotten pretty far into the problem, but i just can't seem to get the correct final answer.

I changed y" + 2y' + 10y=0 int r^2 +2r +10= 0 and used the quadratic formula to get:

r= 1-3i and r= 1+ 3i

so for the general solution i got:
yg= y1 + y2
yg= c1e^t( cos 3t + i sin 3t) + c2e^t( cos 3t - i sin 3t)

i need to solve for the constants:

y= c1 e^t cos 3t + c2 i sin3t ( an example in the book followed this method but i don't know why there is a c2 next to sin 3t and why there isn't a y2 )

i got c1= 1 and took the derivative to find c2 and got c2= -2/3

y'= c1 e^t cos 3t -3c1e^t sin 3t + c2e^tsin3t + 3 cos3tc2e^t

overall i got yg= 2e^tcos 3t but the answer is suppose to be yg= e^-t cos 3t. why? the textbook i use has this annoying ability of skipping 90% of the arithmatic work within examples, so I'm not sure where I could have gone wrong, can u guys help? :/

Physics news on Phys.org
itunescape said:

Homework Statement

y" + 2y' + 10y=0
y(0)=1
y'(0)= -1

solve initial value problem

Homework Equations

e^( ~ + iu)t= e^ ~t (cos ut + i sin ut)

The Attempt at a Solution

i've gotten pretty far into the problem, but i just can't seem to get the correct final answer.

I changed y" + 2y' + 10y=0 int r^2 +2r +10= 0 and used the quadratic formula to get:

r= 1-3i and r= 1+ 3i

so for the general solution i got:
yg= y1 + y2
yg= c1e^t( cos 3t + i sin 3t) + c2e^t( cos 3t - i sin 3t)

i need to solve for the constants:

y= c1 e^t cos 3t + c2 i sin3t ( an example in the book followed this method but i don't know why there is a c2 next to sin 3t and why there isn't a y2 )

i got c1= 1 and took the derivative to find c2 and got c2= -2/3

y'= c1 e^t cos 3t -3c1e^t sin 3t + c2e^tsin3t + 3 cos3tc2e^t

overall i got yg= 2e^tcos 3t but the answer is suppose to be yg= e^-t cos 3t. why? the textbook i use has this annoying ability of skipping 90% of the arithmatic work within examples, so I'm not sure where I could have gone wrong, can u guys help? :/

remember the quadratic eq'n formula is

[tex]r=\frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

you just forgot the '-b'

FAQ: Initial value problem differentials, close to getting answer

1. What is an initial value problem differential?

An initial value problem differential is a type of mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical and natural phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay.

2. How do you solve an initial value problem differential?

To solve an initial value problem differential, you need to use techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or series solutions. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the dependent and independent variables and finding a solution that satisfies the given initial conditions.

3. What is the importance of initial conditions in solving differential equations?

The initial conditions in an initial value problem differential are crucial because they determine the specific solution of the equation. These conditions provide the starting point for solving the differential equation and finding the particular solution that satisfies them.

4. What are some real-world applications of initial value problem differentials?

Initial value problem differentials have numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model phenomena such as heat transfer, population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

5. What are some techniques for verifying the solution of an initial value problem differential?

There are several techniques for verifying the solution of an initial value problem differential, such as substitution, differentiation, and graphical analysis. These methods involve substituting the solution into the original equation, taking derivatives, and plotting the solution to compare it with the given initial conditions.

Back