Initial Velocity of a projectile, how?

In summary: To do this you would use this equation:Vf = Vi + atxf = xi + Vit + (.5)at2Vf2 = Vi2 + 2adSo in short, to find the initial velocity, you would use the first equation to solve for t in terms of x then plug that in the second equation, y as a function of x with the initial speed and angle as parameters. Use the third equation to find the maximum height reached by the projectile, in general.
free-node-5
Initial Velocity of a projectile, how?

If I have a problem that says the x and y distance of a target from a starting position, and only gives the angle at which the particle is launched, how do I find the required initial Velocity for its launch?

I've been given the following equations to work with:
Vf = Vi + at
xf = xi + Vit + (.5)at2
Vf2 = Vi2 + 2ad

I've spent hours trying to find a solution like this and can't seem to get anywhere. At one point I wrote out a huge equation with a bunch of trig stuff and it said a human threw a ball at over 513m/s so I know it must have been wrong.
One line I have written in my work says:
1.05=( Visin43 )/( Vicos43 ) - ( 4.9 * 9 )/( Vi cos 43 )
but I'm just asking in general, how do you do this?

Physics news on Phys.org

If you are given the x and y distance, in general, you use the first equation to solve for t in terms of x then plug that in the second equation, That gives you y as a function of x with the initial speed and angle as parameters. Use the third equation to find the maximum height reached by the projectile, in general.

I took what you said to heart and I still seem to just be making a mess.

Here are a few lines from my work:
1.05 = Vy(xf/Yix) - 4.9 ( xf2 / Vix2 )
1.05 = 9 tan43 - 4.9 ( 80 / Vix2 )
Vix = .136 ?
t = xf / Vix
t = 9 / .136 = 66.176

seems like a long time for something to get to a target that close :-/

Do you think you could show me or maybe just give an example?
My values are [tex]\theta[/tex]=43(degrees), xi = 0, yi = 0, xf = 9, yf = 1.05

thanks

Can you state the problem exactly the way it is given? Your interpretation of the given quantities may be in error.

quoting is probably not a good idea but trust me they were pretty straight-forward
There was even a diagram below the problem

--
A guy who's 2 meters tall, stands 9 meters horizontally from a ball-hoop mounted 3.05m high.
He throws the ball at an angle of 43 degrees from the horizontal. How hard must he throught the ball (m/s) for it to go into the hoop but not hit the backboard?
--

free-node-5 said:
I took what you said to heart and I still seem to just be making a mess.

Here are a few lines from my work:
1.05 = Vy(xf/Yix) - 4.9 ( xf2 / Vix2 )
1.05 = 9 tan43 - 4.9 ( 80 / Vix2 )
Vix = .136 ?
This equation is correct.
But Vix is wrong. Check the calculation.

extreme thanks

I'm not sure what I did at this point because I failed so many times but when i fixed that mistake, I managed to get to a correct final solution

Related to Initial Velocity of a projectile, how?

1. What is initial velocity of a projectile?

Initial velocity of a projectile is the velocity at which an object is launched or thrown into motion. It is the speed and direction at which the object starts moving.

2. How is initial velocity of a projectile calculated?

Initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time taken. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula v = √(u2 + 2as), where s is the displacement.

3. What factors affect the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile is affected by factors such as the force applied to launch the object, the angle at which it is launched, air resistance, and the mass of the object.

4. Why is it important to calculate the initial velocity of a projectile?

Calculating the initial velocity of a projectile is important because it helps us understand and predict the motion of the object. It allows us to determine the trajectory, maximum height, and range of the projectile.

5. How can initial velocity of a projectile be measured in an experiment?

In an experiment, the initial velocity of a projectile can be measured using a motion detector, a stopwatch, and a meter stick. The motion detector will record the position of the object at different time intervals, and by calculating the slope of the data, the initial velocity can be determined.