Initial velocity when deacelerating at a constant rate

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a car is slowing down at a constant rate on a straight section of roadway. The positions of the car at different time intervals are given, and the initial speed and acceleration of the car are to be calculated. The equations used are x = Vo(t) + 1/2at^2 and v = (d2-d1)/t. The correct initial speed is 29.9 m/s, and the method to calculate the acceleration is to use the initial speed obtained in part A and the same equation. However, in part A, the attempt was incorrect as a was assumed to be 0, which is incorrect since the car is slowing down.
xc630

Homework Statement

You are driving along a straight section of roadway (x-axis). You spot a police officer and apply the brakes, slowing down at a constant rate. Your positions (in meters) at successive time intervals of 0.435 s are tabulated below as function of time. (1) Calculate the initial speed (i.e., the speed at t=0, the time at which the brakes are first applied.). (2) Calculate your acceleration along the x-axis, ax.
x (m) 7.00 19.73 31.92 43.55
t (s) 0.000 0.435 0.870 1.305

Homework Equations

v= (d2-d1)/t
x= Vo(t) +1/2at^2
V= Vo + at

The Attempt at a Solution

For the initial velocity I tried using the equation x= Vo (t) +1/2 at^2
the problem says slowing down at a constant rate so I put a= 0, leaving x=vo (t) I subtracted 43.55-7 to get 36.55m over a period of the 1.305s. Dividing 36.55/1.305 i got 28 m/s but the correct one is supposed to be 29.9m/s. What did I do wrong. And for part B of the problem would I just be able to use the initial velocity from part A and the same equation I mentioned above to find a?

Physics news on Phys.org
xc630 said:
x (m) 7.00 19.73 31.92 43.55
t (s) 0.000 0.435 0.870 1.305

The Attempt at a Solution

For the initial velocity I tried using the equation x= Vo (t) +1/2 at^2
the problem says slowing down at a constant rate so I put a= 0,
Why would a = 0 if the car is slowing down? The rate of change of a may be 0 but not a.

AM

Your approach to finding the initial velocity was correct. However, the value you got for the initial velocity (28 m/s) is not the same as the correct value (29.9 m/s) because you rounded the value of the time interval (1.305 s) to only three significant figures. This may seem like a small difference, but when dealing with calculations involving acceleration, even small differences in values can lead to significant differences in the final result. To get a more accurate value for the initial velocity, you should use the full value of the time interval (1.305 s) without rounding.

For part B of the problem, you can indeed use the initial velocity you calculated in part A and the same equation (x= Vo (t) +1/2 at^2) to find the acceleration. Rearranging the equation to solve for acceleration, we get a=(2x-Vo(t))/t^2. Plugging in the values from part A (x=36.55 m, Vo=29.9 m/s, t=1.305 s), we get a= -2.96 m/s^2. This means that your acceleration along the x-axis is -2.96 m/s^2, which indicates that you are decelerating at a constant rate of 2.96 m/s^2.

Related to Initial velocity when deacelerating at a constant rate

What is initial velocity when decelerating at a constant rate?

The initial velocity when decelerating at a constant rate is the velocity at the beginning of the motion when an object is slowing down at a constant rate. It is usually denoted by the symbol v0.

How is initial velocity calculated when decelerating at a constant rate?

The initial velocity can be calculated by using the formula v0 = v - at, where v is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time taken.

What happens to initial velocity when decelerating at a constant rate?

When an object is decelerating at a constant rate, the initial velocity decreases as time passes. This means that the object is slowing down and its speed is decreasing.

Can the initial velocity be negative when decelerating at a constant rate?

Yes, the initial velocity can be negative when decelerating at a constant rate. This indicates that the object is initially moving in the opposite direction of the deceleration.

What is the relationship between initial velocity and acceleration when decelerating at a constant rate?

The initial velocity and acceleration have an inverse relationship when decelerating at a constant rate. This means that as the initial velocity decreases, the acceleration increases, and vice versa.