Input impedances for both inverting and non-inverting amplifiers infinity?

In summary, the input impedances for both inverting and non-inverting amplifiers are finite, and the input capacitance will limit Zin at higher frequencies.
math&science
are the input impedances for both inverting and non-inverting amplifiers infinity?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nope. Just look at the equivalent circuit diagram in the datasheet for whatever opamp you are using. It will either have bipolar or FET input transistors. The datasheet will list the input impedances. The Zin will be much higher for a MOSFET input opamp, but the Zin will not be infinite. Also keep in mind that the input capacitance will limit Zin at higher frequencies.

but i was using a 411 amplifier and not transistors

math&science said:
but i was using a 411 amplifier and not transistors
What's the full part number of the opamp? The transistors that I'm referring to are inside the opamp -- that's how an opamp is made. Take a look at the datasheet for your opamp, or the one for a simple LM741, for example. In addition to listing the input characteristics of the opamp, they will usually show you a simplified equivalent circuit. That will show you approximately how they have built the opamp out of transistors, resistors and capacitors on the monolithic opamp IC.

http://rocky.digikey.com/scripts/ProductInfo.dll?Site=US&V=14&M=LM741CM

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I see what you're saying. I used an LF411. I guess my question was more of a theoretical one. Would it be infinity theoretically for both types?

math&science said:
Oh, I see what you're saying. I used an LF411. I guess my question was more of a theoretical one. Would it be infinity theoretically for both types?
Well, the LF411 has JFET input transistors, and its DC input resistance is listed as 10^12 Ohms typical. That's pretty high, but not infinite. The datasheet doesn't list input capacitance, unfortunately, but guess it's around 10pF and that gives about -j160kOhms of impedance, definitely not infinite.

oh thank you so much berkeman! i guess it's not infinite but too large to measure here. thank you!

It would be best to refer to a text on basic op-amp theory for the explanation, but the input resistances of the inverting and non-inverting configurations differ vastly.
The effect of feedback on the inverting configuration is to reduce the input resistance; perhaps a few ohms, while the non-inverting configuration increases it beyond the intrinsic input resistance of the op-amp itself.
An splendid text is Thomas Frederiksens's "Intuitive Operational Amplifiers"
ISBN 0-07-0211966-4

FAQ: Input impedances for both inverting and non-inverting amplifiers infinity?

1. What is an input impedance for amplifiers?

An input impedance for amplifiers is the measure of the resistance that the amplifier presents to the source of the input signal. It is an important characteristic of amplifiers as it determines the amount of current that will flow into the amplifier from the source.

2. What is the difference between input impedances for inverting and non-inverting amplifiers?

The main difference between input impedances for inverting and non-inverting amplifiers is the way in which the input signal is connected. In an inverting amplifier, the input signal is connected to the inverting input terminal, while in a non-inverting amplifier, the input signal is connected to the non-inverting input terminal. This results in different input impedance values for the two types of amplifiers.

3. How is the input impedance calculated for inverting and non-inverting amplifiers?

The input impedance for inverting amplifiers is calculated as the parallel combination of the feedback resistor and the input resistor, while for non-inverting amplifiers, it is calculated as the input resistor itself. The formula for calculating input impedance for both types of amplifiers is Zin = Rf || Rin, where Rf is the feedback resistor and Rin is the input resistor.

4. What is the significance of having a high input impedance for amplifiers?

Having a high input impedance for amplifiers is important as it allows the amplifier to draw less current from the input source, resulting in less loading on the source. This is especially crucial for sensitive input sources, as a low input impedance can cause distortion and affect the accuracy of the input signal.

5. Can the input impedance for amplifiers be infinity?

In theory, yes, the input impedance for amplifiers can be infinity. This means that the amplifier will draw no current from the input source, resulting in no loading on the source. However, in practical applications, the input impedance for amplifiers is limited by the properties of the components used and can only reach very high values, but not infinity.

Back