Insight/Intuition into rotations in R²

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of rotation matrices and the struggle to understand their intuitive meaning. The two components of the matrix, x' and y', are explained as representing the projection and rejection of the original vector onto the rotated vector. The conversation also mentions the importance of the angle theta and how it affects the values along the other axis. A helpful video and a geometric explanation are provided as resources for better understanding.
STENDEC
I've been using rotation matrices for quite some time now without fully grasping them. Whenever I tried to develop an intuitive understanding of...[tex]
x' = x\cos\theta - y\sin\theta \\
y' = x\sin\theta + y \cos\theta
[/tex]... I failed and gave up. I've looked at numerous online texts and videos, but following the step-by-step explanations didn't lead to me seeing the whole picture as I had hoped.

Could someone explain to me (like I'm 5 years old), why [itex]-y\sin\theta[/itex] and [itex]x\sin\theta[/itex] are used to affect the value along the other axis?

Looking at the following picture (pardon the quality):
drawing.png

Is the contribution of [itex]y[/itex] to [itex]x[/itex] and vice versa there, to ensure that [itex]P[/itex] maintains the correct distance to the origin, or is that a misguided simplification of mine? The yellow line cannot be [itex]sin + cos[/itex] (Pythagorean theorem) yet I may combine these two to get [itex]x'[/itex] and [itex]y'[/itex]. Do you see where my gap in understanding lies? Is there a drawing that could clarify how these terms combine to give the correct value we observe? Algebraic proofs don't work with me I'm afraid, I need a geometric/visual explanation.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The component ##\left(\begin{smallmatrix}x\cos\theta\\y\cos\theta\end{smallmatrix}\right)## represents the projection of ##\left(\begin{smallmatrix}x'\\y'\end{smallmatrix}\right)## onto the original vector ##\left(\begin{smallmatrix}x\\y\end{smallmatrix}\right)##. The other component (the "rejection") should therefore have magnitude ##|\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\sin\theta|## and be orthogonal to the projection. There are two unique solutions for such a vector.

Finally, when ##\theta## is nonzero but less than a straight angle, an increase in ##y'## corresponds to a decrease in ##x'##; i.e., the x-component of the rejection should be negative. (This condition is equivalent to a choice of orientation on ##\mathbb{R}^2##.) This tells us which solution is the desired one.

As for your drawing, I don't quite understand what you mean. Could you elaborate?

Related to Insight/Intuition into rotations in R²

1. What is the definition of rotation in R²?

Rotation in R² refers to the transformation of a two-dimensional object around a fixed point, known as the origin, by a certain angle. This results in a new position and orientation of the object.

2. How do you determine the direction of rotation in R²?

In R², the direction of rotation is determined by the direction of the angle of rotation. If the angle is positive, the rotation is counterclockwise, and if the angle is negative, the rotation is clockwise.

3. Can you explain the concept of rotational symmetry in R²?

Rotational symmetry in R² refers to the property of a shape or object to remain unchanged after a rotation of a certain angle around its center point. This means that the object looks the same from different angles of rotation.

4. How is rotation represented in R²?

In R², rotation can be represented by a rotation matrix or by using complex numbers. A rotation matrix is a 2x2 matrix that contains the cosine and sine values of the angle of rotation. Complex numbers also use the cosine and sine values, but in the form of a+bi, where a represents the cosine and b represents the sine.

5. What are some real-life applications of rotations in R²?

Rotations in R² have various real-life applications, such as in computer graphics, where they are used to rotate and manipulate images. They are also used in navigation systems to determine the direction and orientation of objects, and in physics to describe the rotational motion of objects.