Inspiring Physics Enthusiasm: Ideas for Our Small Physics Club

In summary, the author suggests doing problem sets, leveraging Club Advisors, and holding study sessions/tutors.
harvellt
I go to a state school with a small physics program we are in a little trouble due to low physics students enrollment. That is just a little back story I find myself in the position of the president of the physics club. Not a huge accomplishment there are only three of us. I was hoping a few people here might have some advice for activities or events we could do with community college/high school students to drum up some excitement for physics. Maybe interest them in joining us in a 4 year program ? . Maybe, just something we could do for fun?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have someone speak about something (maybe invite some professor over for a talk).

Do some problem sets.

Leverage your Club Adviser for some ideas. Most clubs have an adviser that is also a professor. They may have some ideas.

Also are you registered with SPS? http://www.spsnational.org/ They would probably have some ideas or support documents.

Rockets, everyone loves rockets, or work with a school to build a home made radio telescope and do a scan or three? The local HAM club could possibly be interested too (and provide stuff).

open a physics study session/tutor => more club members.

everybody needs help with physics ;)

The physics club at my school doesn't do much but sit around and eat sandwiches but sometimes they have events like catapult building. Basically, divide a bunch of people up into teams, give them some popsicle sticks, string, and glue to build a catapult with. The team that can launch an object the farthest wins a lame prize.

harvellt said:
I go to a state school with a small physics program we are in a little trouble due to low physics students enrollment. That is just a little back story I find myself in the position of the president of the physics club. Not a huge accomplishment there are only three of us. I was hoping a few people here might have some advice for activities or events we could do with community college/high school students to drum up some excitement for physics. Maybe interest them in joining us in a 4 year program ? . Maybe, just something we could do for fun?
Thanks!

You may wish to check this existing thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=323897

Zz.

Related to Inspiring Physics Enthusiasm: Ideas for Our Small Physics Club

1. What is the purpose of this small physics club?

The purpose of this small physics club is to promote and inspire enthusiasm for physics among its members. We aim to create a supportive and engaging community where individuals can explore and learn about various topics in physics.

2. Who can join this physics club?

This physics club is open to anyone with an interest in physics, regardless of their age, educational background, or experience. We welcome individuals from all walks of life who are curious and passionate about the world of physics.

3. What kind of activities does this physics club offer?

This physics club offers a variety of activities, including hands-on experiments, discussions, guest lectures, and field trips. We also encourage members to share their own knowledge and ideas through presentations and workshops.

4. How can I contribute to this physics club?

There are several ways you can contribute to this physics club. You can participate in our activities, share your knowledge and expertise, or suggest new ideas for the club. You can also help spread the word and encourage others to join.

5. Is there a membership fee for this physics club?

No, there is no membership fee for this physics club. We believe that everyone should have access to learning and exploring physics, regardless of their financial situation. However, some activities may require a small fee to cover materials or expenses.