Install LaTeX Plugin in Microsoft Word

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Jonny_trigonometry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    install Latex
In summary: MathType is just a souped up edition of the MS Word Equation editor is it not? Personally, I find the MS Word Equation editor (and word processors in general really) grossly inferior to LaTeX. Both in terms of ease of use and quality of the documents produced. The only time I use a word processor any more is when I have a retarded humanities teacher that demands Times New Roman, or worse, .doc files. Which is not that often anymore.MathType is just a souped up edition of the MS Word Equation editor is it not? Personally, I find the MS Word Equation editor (and word processors in general really) grossly inferior to
Jonny_trigonometry
I was wondering how you install a latex plugin into MS Word...

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonny_trigonometry said:
I was wondering how you install a latex plugin into MS Word...

You don't use LaTeX in MS Word. LaTeX is a markup language used by the latex program which produces a .dvi file from latex source files. LaTeX is not just for equations, its for the entire documents. Almost all major journal publications use LaTeX and not word processors (in physics anyway). MS Word has its own equation editor, but its not part of the default installation.

ahh, ok thanks.

Microsoft Word has an "Equation Editor" that basically does formulas and equations.

On a side note, this has come up a couple times in a couple subforums. maybe its time we put a note in the sticky regarding the sites LaTeX capabilities about this, since most people with Windows PCs are not familiar with LaTeX beyond this site.

You could always write out the latex here, preview post, copy/paste.

matthyaouw said:
You could always write out the latex here, preview post, copy/paste.

What purpose would that serve?

It would get it into MS word?

matthyaouw said:
It would get it into MS word?

Oh, ok I understand now. You mean copy and paste the image file, not the LaTeX code. Gotcha. Yeah, that should work. Didn't think of that.

ya, that's what I've been doing, but I have to put it through photoshop to crop it down, and change the contrast so that the background is white instead of grey. After I get the equation rendered, I have to then go back and delete the post that I made to render it (because at least for me, pf doesn't render the equations in a preview). Doing this just takes too much time to be practical; also, it uses/abuses pf's resources. I'd rather just get a plugin.

Jonny_trigonometry said:
ya, that's what I've been doing, but I have to put it through photoshop to crop it down, and change the contrast so that the background is white instead of grey. After I get the equation rendered, I have to then go back and delete the post that I made to render it (because at least for me, pf doesn't render the equations in a preview). Doing this just takes too much time to be practical; also, it uses/abuses pf's resources. I'd rather just get a plugin.

umm, you can just copy and paste directly. You don't need to take a screenshot.

Jonny_trigonometry said:

Except there is no such plugin. MS Word has its own equation editor, though its much less friendly than LaTeX (actually the entire word processor is).

What are you writing up? Depending on what you're doing, it may be worthwhile to start learning how to use LaTeX properly to produce whole documents. You can get MikTex for Windows for free.

I prefer MathType for typing up papers and what have you. There's a free 'MT Lite' version, and the original program runs about the same as MatLab and Mathmatica, ~ $100.

samoth1 said:
I prefer MathType for typing up papers and what have you. There's a free 'MT Lite' version, and the original program runs about the same as MatLab and Mathmatica, ~ $100.

LaTeX is free, and professional.

MathType is just a souped up edition of the MS Word Equation editor is it not? Personally, I find the MS Word Equation editor (and word processors in general really) grossly inferior to LaTeX. Both in terms of ease of use and quality of the documents produced. The only time I use a word processor any more is when I have a retarded humanities teacher that demands Times New Roman, or worse, .doc files. Which is not that often anymore.

On a side note: I love MatLab. Lovely thing to have when I need to calculate the percent ionization of hydrogen and helium throughout the sun or some such. Though it runs calculations much more slowly than my homebrewed Fortran codes, its takes much less planning. I use it for all my lightweight numeric work.

All I've used is Mathematica. I haven't been able to figure out MATLAB on my own yet. Is there a online tutorial you would recommend for matlab?

Jonny_trigonometry said:
All I've used is Mathematica. I haven't been able to figure out MATLAB on my own yet. Is there a online tutorial you would recommend for matlab?

If you know C its very easy to start writing simple numerical scripts, as matlab's language is very similar to C (actually its prolly closer to perl. My MATLAB files are simple enough I could prolly just take them and run them directly in perl, changing only the loop statements). I've done C and C++ programming in the past (though I much prefer Fortran for numerical work and Perl for everything else) so I don't know of any tutorials. The help files are decent, not fantastic, but decent. Just try Googling around, I'm sure there is something on the 'net.

Related to Install LaTeX Plugin in Microsoft Word

1. How do I install the LaTeX plugin in Microsoft Word?

To install the LaTeX plugin in Microsoft Word, first download and install the "MathType" software from the Design Science website. Once installed, open Microsoft Word and click on the "Insert" tab. Then, click on the "Object" button and select "MathType Commands" from the drop-down menu. This will open a window where you can select the "Install LaTeX" option and follow the prompts to complete the installation.

2. Can I use the LaTeX plugin in all versions of Microsoft Word?

No, the LaTeX plugin is only compatible with Microsoft Word versions 2007 and later. If you have an earlier version of Word, you will need to upgrade to use the plugin.

3. Is there a cost to install the LaTeX plugin in Microsoft Word?

Yes, there is a cost associated with downloading and installing the MathType software, which is required for the LaTeX plugin to work in Microsoft Word. However, some universities and institutions may offer discounted or free access to this software for their students and faculty.

4. Can I use the LaTeX plugin to edit existing equations in Microsoft Word?

Yes, the LaTeX plugin allows you to edit and modify existing equations in Microsoft Word. Simply double-click on the equation to open it in MathType, make your changes, and save them back into your Word document.

5. Are there any alternatives to using the LaTeX plugin in Microsoft Word?

Yes, there are other equation editors and plugins available for use in Microsoft Word, such as the "Equation Editor" or "MathType Lite" plugins. However, the LaTeX plugin is specifically designed for users familiar with the LaTeX syntax and offers more advanced features for creating complex equations.