Installing Ubuntu on a Windows XP Computer with a Non-Functioning CD-ROM

In summary, the person is looking to install Ubuntu on an old computer with a non-functional CD-ROM. They have created a bootable USB drive and changed the BIOS settings to make it the first bootable device, but the USB drive is not recognized. They are seeking a solution to this issue and are only interested in using Ubuntu on the computer.
pro_learner
I have bit old computer which has installed Windows XP.I want to install Ubuntu to that computer.But the problem is the CD-Rom is not working of the computer.Therefore i created Bootable U.S.B drive.Then i logged into BIOS settings of the computer to make the U.S.B/Removable media as my 1st Bootable device.But there is not any drive calls U.S.B or removable media.Please any expert can give me a proper solution for this issue?

Technology news on Phys.org
Why do you need bootable media?
goto:
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/windows-installer

Can install directly from windows and have REALLY easy dual-boot.

Otherwise there is not much of a solution. If your motherboard BIOS doesn't have the option then you can't do much. I've had a few computers with SEVERELY restricted BIOS settings.

Thank you very much for your quick response.I don't need to use windows anymore in that computer.I just need to use Ubuntu.Because my machine has a 4GB Hard drive.Please tell me how to remove windows & just use Ubuntu...?

Related to Installing Ubuntu on a Windows XP Computer with a Non-Functioning CD-ROM

What is Ubuntu and why would I want to install it on my Windows XP computer with a non-functioning CD-ROM?

Ubuntu is a free and open-source operating system based on the Linux kernel. It offers a user-friendly interface and a wide range of software applications. Installing Ubuntu on a Windows XP computer with a non-functioning CD-ROM allows you to upgrade your outdated operating system and access a wider range of software options.

Can I install Ubuntu on a Windows XP computer with a non-functioning CD-ROM without losing my data?

Yes, you can install Ubuntu without losing your data. However, it is always recommended to back up your important files before making any changes to your computer's operating system.

How do I install Ubuntu on a Windows XP computer with a non-functioning CD-ROM?

First, you will need to download the Ubuntu ISO file from the official website. Then, you can create a bootable USB drive using a software such as Rufus or UNetbootin. Once the USB drive is ready, you can boot your computer from it and follow the installation prompts.

What are the minimum system requirements for installing Ubuntu on a Windows XP computer with a non-functioning CD-ROM?

The minimum system requirements for installing Ubuntu are at least 2 GB of RAM, 25 GB of free hard drive space, and a 2 GHz dual-core processor. However, for a smoother experience, it is recommended to have at least 4 GB of RAM and a 2.5 GHz quad-core processor.

Can I dual-boot Windows XP and Ubuntu on a computer with a non-functioning CD-ROM?

Yes, you can dual-boot Windows XP and Ubuntu on a computer with a non-functioning CD-ROM. During the installation process, you will be given the option to either erase the entire disk and install Ubuntu or install Ubuntu alongside your existing operating system. Choose the latter option to dual-boot both operating systems.