Instantaneous Center: How to Solve Homework Equations

• Thread starter Nikstykal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Center
In summary, the angular velocity of the gear at the instant shown can be determined using the equation v = ω x rIC, and the instantaneous center method can be used in any problem. In this case, a calculation error with the signs may have caused an incorrect answer when using the equation va = v0 + (ω x ra0) and vb = v0 + (ω x rb0).
Nikstykal

Homework Statement

Determine the angular velocity of the gear at the instant shown. Set v = 9ft/s and vc = 6ft/s. Assume counterclockwise is positive.
LiUIPsu.png

Homework Equations

v = w x rIC

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving this many times using va = v0 + (ω x ra0 ) and vb=v0 + (ω x rb0 ) but kept getting the wrong answer.
Then I ended up solving for the instantaneous center using similar triangles and used v = ωxrIC.

How do I know when to use an instantaneous center in my problem solving?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nikstykal said:
I tried solving this many times using va = v0 + (ω x ra0 ) and vb=v0 + (ω x rb0 ) but kept getting the wrong answer.
Then the problem is somewhere in the steps you did not show.
Just a guess: Did you take the signs into account properly?

Nikstykal said:

Homework Statement

Determine the angular velocity of the gear at the instant shown. Set v = 9ft/s and vc = 6ft/s. Assume counterclockwise is positive.
LiUIPsu.png

Homework Equations

v = w x rIC

The Attempt at a Solution

Then I ended up solving for the instantaneous center using similar triangles and used v = ωxrIC.

How do I know when to use an instantaneous center in my problem solving?
Instantaneous centre method can be used in any problem.
But both methods give the same result. Maybe there's some problem with the signs like mfb said.

Thank you for helping! Sorry there was such a delay in my response. Yes it ended up being just a calculation error when mixing up the signs!

Related to Instantaneous Center: How to Solve Homework Equations

1. What is the instantaneous center?

The instantaneous center is a point in a rigid body where the velocity of all points on the body is zero at a given instant in time. It is also known as the center of zero velocity.

2. How do you find the instantaneous center?

The instantaneous center can be found by drawing two tangent lines on the body at two different points and finding their intersection point. The intersection point is the instantaneous center.

3. Why is the instantaneous center important?

The instantaneous center is important because it helps us analyze the motion of a rigid body and determine its velocity and acceleration at a given instant. It also helps us solve problems involving rotation and translation of a body.

4. Can the instantaneous center change?

Yes, the instantaneous center can change as the body moves and its velocity changes. It can also change depending on the points chosen to find the tangent lines.

5. How is the instantaneous center used to solve homework equations?

The instantaneous center is used in solving homework equations by providing a reference point for the motion of a rigid body. It allows us to break down complex motions into simpler ones and apply equations of motion to each component. It also helps us determine the angular velocity and acceleration of the body, which are essential in solving rotational motion problems.