Instantaneous velocity animation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the instantaneous velocity at a given time for an animation created by a web page designer. The correct answer is (4.40cm/s, 5.00cm/s) and the incorrect answer was (8.8cm/s, 5.00cm/s). The mistake was made in taking the derivative of the function, which should only be done for the acceleration term and not the initial position. The correct derivative is found to be 4.40t, which explains the difference in the x-component of the two answers. The conversation also clarifies that s^2 is a unit, not a variable, and has a constant derivative of zero.
Whatupdoc
A web page designer creates an animation in which a dot on a computer screen has a position of [tex]r^\rightarrow [4.40cm + (2.20cm/s^2)t^2]\underlinei + (5.00 cm/s)t\underlinej[/tex]

okay i already have the correct answer, but i would like to know how the author got it. i came close to getting the correct answer.

Question.) Find the instantaneous velocity at t=1.0. Give your answer as a pair of components separated by a comma(x,y).

ok to find the instantaneous velocity, i need to find the derivative of the function...

d/dt r = 2(2.20cm/s)*2(t)i + (5.00cm/s)
plug in 1.0 for t and got...

(8.8cm/s,5.00cm/s) <--- my answer

(4.40cm/s, 5.00 cm/s) <--- correct answer

it looks like the correct answer divided my x-component by 2, but why? can someone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\vec{r} = [4.40cm + (2.20 cm/s^2)t^2] \hat{i} + (5.00 cm/s)t \hat{j}
[/tex]

That what you were trying to write?

Anyways, you've identified that your answer is twice the alledgedly correct answer. I notice that your answer has several factors of two in it, so the first thought that springs to my mind is: "Can I find a reason why one of those 2's shouldn't be there?"

I think...

I think you are working the problem wrong. Take the derivative of the acceleration ONLY, we do not care about the initial position, we only want the derivative of a.

[tex] \dfrac{d}{dt} 2.20t^2 [/tex]

You do the math.

Hope this helps.

"2(2.20cm/s)*2(t)i"
too many twos

SpatialVacancy said:
I think you are working the problem wrong. Take the derivative of the acceleration ONLY, we do not care about the initial position, we only want the derivative of a.

[tex] \dfrac{d}{dt} 2.20t^2 [/tex]

You do the math.

Hope this helps.

so...[tex](2.20cm/s^2)t^2[/tex] is the acceleration of i?

wait...

i got two 2's because you see 2.20cm/s^2? the derivative of that is 2(2.20cm/s) right? and the derivative of t^2 is equal to 2t. so...
2(2.20cm/s) * 2t

am i not suppose to care about the square root on cm/s?

No...s^2 is simply a unit. It is NOT a variable. You are taking the derivative of the function with respect to the variable t, so try to envision that particular term as 2.20t^2...and the derivative of that would be 4.40t.

Doesn't matter if s is a unit or a varaible: it's a constant with respect to t, so its derivative (WRT t) is zero.

FAQ: Instantaneous velocity animation

What is instantaneous velocity animation?

Instantaneous velocity animation is a technique used in physics and computer animation to model the motion of objects. It involves representing the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, rather than an average velocity over a period of time.

How is instantaneous velocity calculated?

Instantaneous velocity is calculated by taking the limit of the average velocity as the time interval approaches zero. This can also be represented as the derivative of the position function with respect to time.

What is the significance of instantaneous velocity animation?

Instantaneous velocity animation allows for more accurate and realistic representations of motion in computer animation and physics simulations. It takes into account changes in velocity over time, rather than assuming a constant velocity.

What are some applications of instantaneous velocity animation?

Instantaneous velocity animation is commonly used in video games, films, and scientific simulations. It can also be used in fields such as engineering, biomechanics, and transportation to model and analyze the motion of objects.

What are the limitations of instantaneous velocity animation?

One limitation of instantaneous velocity animation is that it assumes a continuous and smooth motion, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not take into account external forces or factors that may affect the motion of an object.

Back