Instantaneous velocity, help me please

In summary: We hope this has helped and that you will be able to solve the problem on your own. In summary, the driver needs to know the equation for instantaneous velocity, and also how to use a displacement vs time graph.
Veloco-raptor

Homework Statement

I need to find the instantaneous velocity directly before a car collides with another at an intersection. It travels 24 metres with an acceleration of -5.39 m s2. The only time factor given is the light sequence:
Green for 45 seconds, amber for 3 seconds and red for 5 seconds before the opposing light turns green.
I don't have the velocity or time, so I don't know how I would draw a graph to figure this out.

Homework Equations

I know the equation for Instantaneous velocity is Δy/Δx, and that I would have to draw a triangle just touching the point at which I need to find the speed of the vehicle, and then use Pythagoras. But I'm looking for speed, would instantaneous velocity still work? I have also considered the equation vi = vf + at, but again I don't have the time or velocity (neither the initial of final).

The Attempt at a Solution

If I used a displacement vs time graph, would it be the same as a velocity vs time graph? Would it give me the same (and correct) answer? Would the slope be negative, and how do I make my graph accurate enough so that my answer is?

Please, please lend me a hand, I'm so stumped.
Merci d'avance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Veloco-raptor! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Veloco-raptor said:
I need to find the instantaneous velocity directly before a car collides with another at an intersection. It travels 24 metres with an acceleration of -5.39 m s2. The only time factor given is the light sequence:
Green for 45 seconds, amber for 3 seconds and red for 5 seconds before the opposing light turns green.

I really don't understand the question … there seems a lot missing, including anything about the second car. :confused:
… I'm looking for speed, would instantaneous velocity still work?

Speed is just the magnitude of the velocity vector.

("v" is usually an abbreviation for "speed" :wink:)
If I used a displacement vs time graph, would it be the same as a velocity vs time graph?

nooo … the slope of displacement vs time is speed, the slope of speed vs time is acceleration

Hi,
I agree with tiny-tim. There seems to be some missing information here that is preventing us from making a correct calculation.

Because the acceleration is constant, we know that the velocity will be increasing linearly. However, this means that average velocity ≠ instantaneous velocity.

So we cannot do delta x/delta t. Another note about the graphs.
1. The slope of x vs. t is velocity. The slope of v vs. t is acceleration.
2. Similarly, the area UNDER the curve of the a vs. t graph is velocity.
And the area UNDER the curve of the v vs. t graph is displacement.

If you decide to continue in physics (I would recommend it), you will learn that these relationships are intuitively connected by the derivative (as in case one) and consequently the integral (as in case two). So as you can see, physics is fun! (no one said physics would be easy, though).

So how did you get on?
You know the acceleration and the distance ...
You need to know either the initial or final speeds, or the time involved, to draw a v-t graph. The area under the graph is the displacement and the slope of the graph is the acceleration... giving you two equations. The method is also used to complete https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3941528#post3941528.

You should also realize there is a limit to the kind of assistance we can give you when it's homework.

Dear student,

I understand that you are having trouble finding the instantaneous velocity of a car before it collides with another at an intersection. Let me provide some guidance to help you solve this problem.

Firstly, the equation for instantaneous velocity is v = Δx/Δt, where v is the velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time. This means that in order to find the instantaneous velocity, you need to know the change in position and the change in time at a specific point in time.

In this case, you have been given the acceleration of the car, which is -5.39 m/s^2, and the distance it has traveled, which is 24 meters. However, you do not have the time or the velocity. In order to find the time, you can use the light sequence given in the problem. You know that the car traveled 24 meters during the green, amber, and red light phases, which lasted a total of 53 seconds. This means that the car traveled at a constant speed of 24m/53s = 0.45 m/s during this time.

Now, in order to find the instantaneous velocity just before the car collides, you will need to use the equation v = v0 + at, where v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, the initial velocity is 0.45 m/s, and the acceleration is -5.39 m/s^2. You can rearrange this equation to solve for t, which will give you the time just before the car collides.

Once you have the time, you can use the equation v = Δx/Δt to find the instantaneous velocity at that specific point in time. The slope of the displacement vs time graph will give you the average velocity, but in order to find the instantaneous velocity, you will need to use the equation v = Δx/Δt at a specific point in time.

I hope this helps you solve the problem. Good luck with your homework!

Related to Instantaneous velocity, help me please

What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is the rate of change of an object's position at that exact point in time.

How is instantaneous velocity different from average velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object over a period of time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific point in time. Average velocity takes into account the entire motion of an object, while instantaneous velocity only looks at a single moment in time.

What is the formula for calculating instantaneous velocity?

The formula for calculating instantaneous velocity is v = lim Δt→0 (Δx/Δt), where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time. This formula is based on the concept of limit in calculus.

Can instantaneous velocity be negative?

Yes, instantaneous velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial motion. However, the magnitude of the velocity (speed) is always positive.

How is instantaneous velocity measured?

Instantaneous velocity can be measured using various techniques such as motion sensors, video analysis, or by calculating the slope of the position-time graph. It is important to have precise and accurate measurements in order to calculate the instantaneous velocity correctly.