Instantaneous velocity of an object with varying mass at the bottom of a slope

In summary, the mass of an object affects the object speed at the bottom of a slope. The more mass the object has, the faster the object will go.
zfa9675
I conducted an experiment to investigate whether the mass of an object will affect the object speed at the bottom of a slope with a constant gradient. The experiment showed that as the mass of the object (car) increases, the speed of the car at the bottom of the slope increases.

I still do not understand why. So far, I have come up with one proof that shows I am correct:

Assuming that all the potential energy at the top of the track is converted to kinetic energy at the bottom of the track (this is similar to Gallileo's theory)
Ep=mgh
Ek=(mv^2)/2

Ep=Ek
mgh=(mv^2)/2
2mgh=mv^2
2gh=v^2

g=9.81 ms^-2

19.62h=v^2

v=[itex]\sqrt{}19.62h[/itex]

Therefore, the laws of indices shows:

The speed of the object at the bottom of the slope is directly proportional to the square root of the height. Therefore, the mass of the object should not affect the speed of the car at any given point.

Can you please tell me why the mass affects the speed

Physics news on Phys.org
zfa9675 said:
I conducted an experiment to investigate whether the mass of an object will affect the object speed at the bottom of a slope with a constant gradient. The experiment showed that as the mass of the object (car) increases, the speed of the car at the bottom of the slope increases.

I still do not understand why. So far, I have come up with one proof that shows I am correct:

Assuming that all the potential energy at the top of the track is converted to kinetic energy at the bottom of the track (this is similar to Gallileo's theory)
Ep=mgh
Ek=(mv^2)/2

Ep=Ek
mgh=(mv^2)/2
2mgh=mv^2
2gh=v^2

g=9.81 ms^-2

19.62h=v^2

v=[itex]\sqrt{}19.62h[/itex]

Therefore, the laws of indices shows:

The speed of the object at the bottom of the slope is directly proportional to the square root of the height. Therefore, the mass of the object should not affect the speed of the car at any given point.

Can you please tell me why the mass affects the speed

Can you think of factors that are absent from your ideal mathematical model that might be present in a real-life scenario? How about forces you haven't accounted for?

The other theory I had which contradicts my first one is that the weight of the car is apart of the unbalanced force which causes its acceleration down the track (Newtons second law of motion)

F(unbalanced)=ma

a=F/m

As the force increases for a constant mass, the acceleration increases. However, the mass will also increase in this cas with the force so I figured the two would even each other out and there would not be a difference in acceleration.

FAQ: Instantaneous velocity of an object with varying mass at the bottom of a slope

What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the rate of change of an object's position at a specific moment in time. It is often represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time.

How is velocity affected by mass?

Velocity is not directly affected by mass. However, the momentum of an object, which is related to its mass and velocity, can impact its movement. A heavier object may have a greater momentum and require more force to change its velocity.

Why does velocity change at the bottom of a slope?

The change in velocity at the bottom of a slope is due to the effects of gravity. As an object moves down a slope, it gains speed due to the force of gravity acting on it. At the bottom of the slope, the object's velocity will be at its maximum if there are no other external forces acting on it.

How does varying mass affect velocity at the bottom of a slope?

Varying mass can affect the velocity of an object at the bottom of a slope in two ways. First, a heavier object will have a greater momentum and may require more force to stop or change direction. Second, air resistance may have a greater impact on a lighter object, causing it to slow down more quickly as it moves down the slope.

How can instantaneous velocity be calculated for an object with varying mass at the bottom of a slope?

To calculate the instantaneous velocity of an object with varying mass at the bottom of a slope, you will need to know the object's mass, the slope angle, and any other external forces acting on the object. Using this information, you can calculate the momentum of the object and then use the equation v = p/m to find the velocity, where v is velocity, p is momentum, and m is mass.

Back