Integer Sequence: Solve & Generate Terms

In summary, the conversation discusses a sequence of numbers starting with 2, 4, 16, 256, and 65536. The problem is to find a formula or rule for generating the terms of this sequence. After some discussion, it is revealed that the formula is 2^(2^(n-1)), where n is the position of the term in the sequence.
Madonna M.
1. Homework Statement

Provide a simple formula or rule that generates the terms of an integer sequence that begins with :

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried a lot to solve it but i ended up with nothing,although i know that finding a term in the following sequence depends on multiplying the number by itself. For example if i want to get the 3rd term i will multiply the 2nd term by itself (4*4)=16 and same goes to the rest of the sequence,but what about if i want to get the 100th term,of course i won't multiply each term by itself until i reach the needed term,a formula or a rule would be more helpful.

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
think about what exponents of 2 are needed to give that sequence.

Likes 1 person
could you give me more clear clue please?? :)

Madonna M. said:
could you give me more clear clue please?? :)

Your sequence is ##2^1, 2^2, 2^4, 2^8, 2^{16}, ...##.
See the pattern?

Likes 1 person
well,do you mean that every time am going to multiply the power of the previous term by 2 to get the next one?

Ahaa i got it thanks a lot,i think it would be 2^(2^(n-1))

Good! :)

Related to Integer Sequence: Solve & Generate Terms

What is an integer sequence?

An integer sequence is a list of numbers that follows a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term.

How do you solve an integer sequence?

To solve an integer sequence, you need to examine the given sequence and look for a pattern or rule that connects the terms. Once you identify the pattern, you can use it to generate additional terms in the sequence.

What is the purpose of generating terms in an integer sequence?

The purpose of generating terms in an integer sequence is to extend the sequence and find additional patterns or rules that may help in understanding the sequence better.

What tools can be used to solve and generate terms in an integer sequence?

There are various tools and methods that can be used to solve and generate terms in an integer sequence, such as mathematical equations, computer programs, and online sequence solvers.

Why are integer sequences important in mathematics and science?

Integer sequences are important because they can help in understanding complex mathematical concepts and patterns. They are also used in various fields of science, including physics, computer science, and biology, to model and analyze real-world phenomena.