Integrability of multiple integrals

In summary: If you look at the graph of f(x,y), you will see that it is unbounded on that rectangle. No matter how small the cells in your partition are, they all include points with rational y coordinate and points with irrational y coordinates. The highest value of the function in any cell is 3, so the "upper sum" for any partition is 3. But the function is unbounded, so there is no finite "lower sum" for any partition. This means that no matter how small the cells in your partition are, the "upper sum" will always be greater than the "lower sum" and so the function is not Riemann integrable on the interval. In summary, the function
kingwinner
Q1) Let f(x,y)=3, if x E Q
f(x,y)=2y, if y E QC

Show that
1 3
∫ ∫ f(x,y)dydx exists
0 0
but the function f is not (Riemann) integrable over the rectangle [0,1]x[0,3]

I proved that the iterated integral exists and equal 9, but I am completely stuck with the second part (i.e. to prove that the function f is not integrable over the rectangle [0,1]x[0,3] ), how can I do it? Can someone please help me?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
May someone be nice enough to answer this theoretical question?

It would help if you would ask a plausible question. "f(x,y)=3, if x E Q
f(x,y)=2y, if y E QC" doesn't make sense. What is f(2, [itex]\pi[/itex) where x is rational and q is irrational? What is f(x,y) if x is not rational? What is f(x,y) if y is not irrational?

Oh sorry, it should be y E Q instead of x E Q.
i.e.
Let f(x,y)=3, if y E Q
f(x,y)=2y, if y E QC

and I am having trouble with proving that f is not (Riemann) integrable over the rectangle [0,1]x[0,3]

Okay so that is really the same as f(y)= 3 if y[itex]\in[/itex]Q, f(y)= 2y if y[itex]\in[/itex]QC. What theorems do you have to work with? Since that function is discontinuous at every value of y except 3/2, It's set of discontinuities is not a null set and so it is not Riemann integrable.

Theorem:
f is Riemann integrable iff for all epsilon>0, there exists a partition P s.t. upper Riemann sum - lower Riemann sum < epsilon

How can I prove using this theorem?

Now matter how small the cells in your partition are, they all include points with rational y coordinate and points with irrational y coordinates. As long as [itex]y\le 1[/itex], 2y< 3 so the highest value of the function in that cell is 3. Since that is true in any cell, the "upper sum" for any partition is 3. Also, the smallest value of the function in any cell is 2y* where y* is the y at which the function has its smallest value in that cell. The "lower sum" then is 1 (the integral of 2y over the entire interval) for any partition. Taking the limit as the partition size goes to 0, we still get 3 as the limit of the upper sums and 1 as the limit of the lower sums. Since those two limits are not the same, the function is not Riemann integrable on the interval.

HallsofIvy said:
Now matter how small the cells in your partition are, they all include points with rational y coordinate and points with irrational y coordinates. As long as [itex]y\le 1[/itex], 2y< 3 so the highest value of the function in that cell is 3. Since that is true in any cell, the "upper sum" for any partition is 3.
But for y=sqrt3=1.71, which is in the retangle [0,1]x[0x3]
f(x,y)=2(sqrt3)=3.42 > 3
So the max value is not always 3, right?

Oh, blast! I was looking at [itex]0\le x\le 1[/itex], [itex]0\le y\le 1[/itex]!

HallsofIvy said:
Oh, blast! I was looking at [itex]0\le x\le 1[/itex], [itex]0\le y\le 1[/itex]!

The question says "prove the function f is not (Riemann) integrable over the rectangle [0,1]x[0,3]"

Related to Integrability of multiple integrals

1. What is integrability and why is it important in multiple integrals?

Integrability in multiple integrals refers to the ability to calculate the definite integral of a function over a given region. It is important because it allows us to find the area, volume, and other properties of complex shapes and functions, which have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you determine if a multiple integral is integrable?

A multiple integral is integrable if the function being integrated is continuous over the region of integration and if the boundaries of the region are well-defined. This means that the function must not have any discontinuities or undefined points within the region.

3. What is the difference between a single integral and a double integral?

A single integral involves integrating a function with respect to one variable, while a double integral involves integrating a function with respect to two variables over a two-dimensional region. This means that the result of a double integral is a number, while the result of a single integral is a function.

4. Can all multiple integrals be solved analytically?

No, not all multiple integrals can be solved analytically. In some cases, the integrals may have complex or indefinite boundaries, or the function being integrated may not have an anti-derivative. In such cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the value of the integral.

5. How does the order of integration affect the value of a multiple integral?

The order of integration can greatly affect the difficulty of evaluating a multiple integral, but it should not affect the final result. However, choosing the most efficient order of integration can make the evaluation process simpler and more efficient.

Back