Integral Calculus Help Needed: \iiint_T\sqrt{x^2+y^2}z^4e^{z^4}dx\ dy\ dz

In summary, to solve the triple integral $\iiint_T\sqrt{x^2+y^2}z^4e^{z^4}dx\ dy\ dz$, where $T=\{(x,y,z)\in\mathbb{R}^3:\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\leq z\leq 1\}$, you first convert to cylindrical coordinates and then change the order of integration to make it easier to solve. After making the substitution $u=z^4$, the integral can be evaluated.
laura1231
Hi! I have some problems with the integral
\(\displaystyle \iiint_T\sqrt{x^2+y^2}z^4e^{z^4}dx\ dy\ dz\)
where
\(\displaystyle T=\{(x,y,z)\in\mathbb{R}^3:\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\leq z\leq 1\}\)
I have tried to change it to spherical and cylindrical coordinates but... nothing
Can someone help me?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: triple integral

laura123 said:
where
I have tried to change it to spherical and cylindrical coordinates but... nothing
Can someone help me?
Thanks

Wellcome on MHB laura!... may be that the best way is to separate the integrations in the following way...

$\displaystyle I = \int_{A} \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}\ dx\ dy\ \int_{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}^{1} z^{4}\ e^{z^{4}}\ dz$ (1)

... where A is the unit circle on the xy plane. First You solve the integral in z and then You can change the integral in x and y in polar coordinates...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thanks $\chi\sigma$ but the problem is in $\int z^4 e^{z^4}dz$...

laura123 said:
where
Can someone help me?
Thanks
Step 1. Convert to cylindrical coordinates: $$\iiint_T\sqrt{x^2+y^2}z^4e^{z^4}dx\, dy\, dz = \int_0^1\int_r^1\int_0^{2\pi} rz^4e^{z^4}\,rd\theta\, dz\, dr = 2\pi\int_0^1\int_r^1r^2z^4e^{z^4}dz\, dr$$ (doing the $\theta$ integral first).

Step 2. Change the order of integration. The integral is over a triangular region in the $(r,z)$-plane. If $z$ goes from $r$ to $1$ (and then $r$ goes from $0$ to $1$), then when you switch the order, you find that $r$ goes from $0$ to $z$ (and then $z$ goes from $0$ to $1$). Thus the integral becomes $$2\pi\int_0^1\int_0^zr^2z^4e^{z^4}dr\,dz = 2\pi\int_0^1\frac{z^3}3z^4e^{z^4}dz,$$ which you can evaluate by making the substitution $u=z^4$.

FAQ: Integral Calculus Help Needed: \iiint_T\sqrt{x^2+y^2}z^4e^{z^4}dx\ dy\ dz

1. What is integral calculus?

Integral calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the calculation of areas and volumes, as well as the accumulation of quantities and rates of change. It is used to solve problems involving continuous functions, and is an important tool in physics, engineering, and other sciences.

2. What is the meaning of the symbols used in the given integral?

The symbol ∫ represents the integral, while the symbol \iiint represents a triple integral. The letter T represents the region of integration, and the expression inside the integral represents the function being integrated. The symbols dx, dy, and dz represent the different variables of integration.

3. How do you solve this triple integral?

To solve this triple integral, you will need to use the properties and rules of integral calculus, such as the linearity property, substitution, and integration by parts. You will also need to have a solid understanding of trigonometric and exponential functions. It is recommended to break down the integral into smaller parts and solve each part separately.

4. What is the purpose of using the square root and exponential functions in this integral?

The square root and exponential functions are used to represent the given function inside the integral. These functions are commonly used in mathematical models and have important applications in the sciences. In this case, they help to describe the behavior of the function and its relationship with the variables of integration.

5. Can this integral be solved analytically or does it require numerical methods?

This integral can be solved analytically using the aforementioned properties and rules of integral calculus. However, due to its complexity, it may be difficult to solve by hand and may require the use of numerical methods, such as Simpson's rule or Monte Carlo integration, to approximate the solution.