Integral, hmm where did i mess up?

• Thread starter rocomath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation involved discussing different strategies for managing stress. One person suggested practicing mindfulness and deep breathing, while the other person suggested keeping a gratitude journal. They also talked about the importance of setting boundaries and prioritizing self-care. Ultimately, they agreed that finding what works best for each individual is key in managing stress.
rocomath
[SOLVED] Integral, hmm ... where did i mess up?

ok, i typed this integral into mathematica, my last part is wrong or perhaps it's equivalent, but not obvious to me

thanks for the help!

in mathematic ... (x^2 -1)/(x^2 + 1)^3

http://www.mathlinks.ro/Forum/latexrender/pictures/a/f/f/affbb15186b375255a388df46ab0b2701a8798dc.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe where you have [tex] \int^{1}_{0} \frac{tan^2 \theta}{sec^4 \theta} - \frac{1}{sec^4 \theta} [/tex], you should have [tex]sec^5 \theta [/tex], instead of to the 4th power.

You forgot to transform the integration limits when you switch from integrating wrt x to integrating wrt theta.

hotcommodity said:
I believe where you have [tex] \int^{1}_{0} \frac{tan^2 \theta}{sec^4 \theta} - \frac{1}{sec^4 \theta} [/tex], you should have [tex]sec^5 \theta [/tex], instead of to the 4th power.

if i have

[tex](\sec^{2}{\theta})^{3}[/tex]

isn't that the power rule? so

[tex]\sec^{6}{\theta}[/tex]

Oops, yes you're correct. But it still wouldn't be to the 4th power.

hotcommodity said:
Oops, yes you're correct. But it still wouldn't be to the 4th power.
why not? and what should it be?

D H said:
You forgot to transform the integration limits when you switch from integrating wrt x to integrating wrt theta.

But it looks like he changed it back to "x," so it wouldn't matter right?

rocophysics said:
why not? and what should it be?

Well if [tex] x = tan \theta [/tex], and [tex] tan^2 \theta + 1 = sec^2 \theta [/tex], then you have [tex] (sec^2 \theta)^3 [/tex] in the denominator.

i simplified

[tex]\int[\frac{tan^{2}{\theta}\sec^{2}{\theta}}{\sec^{6}{\theta}}-\frac{\sec^{2}{\theta}}{\sec^{6}{\theta}}]d{\theta}[/tex]

OK ok, I see, let me go back and re-work it.

hotcommodity said:
OK ok, I see, let me go back and re-work it.
thanks a lot :-] i just don't know wth is wrong with that last part, lol.

Roco, you did the trig part right. The problem is the integration limits.

Ok.

hotcommodity said:
But it looks like he changed it back to "x," so it wouldn't matter right?

He made the same mistake twice, yet another example of two wrongs making a right. I answered this question,

rocophysics said:
my last part is wrong or perhaps it's equivalent, but not obvious to me

Upon switching the integration variable from [itex]x[/itex] to [itex]\theta[/itex], roco, you should have switch the integration limits as well:

[tex]\int_0^1 \frac{x^2-1}{(x^2+1)^3}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int_{\tan^{-1} 0}^{\tan^{-1} 1} 1+2\cos2\theta + \cos4\theta d\theta[/tex]

Evaluating the limits, [itex]\tan^{-1} 0=0[/itex] but [itex]\tan^{-1} 1=\pi/4[/itex], not 1.

BTW, this integrates directly to

[tex]-\;\frac 1 4 \left.\left(\theta + \sin2\theta+\frac 1 4\sin4\theta\right)\right|_0^{\pi/4}[/tex]

Last edited:
D H said:

IN WORK.
why would they change? i re-substituted or whatever you call it. hmm

I updated my IN WORK post. Do you see now why you have to pay attention to the integration limits? When you do so, you get the correct results.

D H said:
He made the same mistake twice, yet another example of two wrongs making a right. I answered this question,

Upon switching the integration variable from [itex]x[/itex] to [itex]\theta[/itex], roco, you should have switch the integration limits as well
but that's not what I'm trying to do. when using trig subst. i don't HAVE TO switch limits do i?

i fix my limits for other problems, but I'm just trying to work this one all the way.

http://www.mathlinks.ro/Forum/latexrender/pictures/4/1/0/410c7ab5ddcc2586a7250b56ba46df50369f6fbf.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
D H said:

Ok.

Upon switching the integration variable from [itex]x[/itex] to [itex]\theta[/itex], roco, you should have switch the integration limits as well:

[tex]\int_{\tan^{-1} 0}^{\tan^{-1} 1} 1+2\cos2\theta + \cos4\theta d\theta[/tex]

Evaluating the limits, [itex]\tan^{-1} 0=0[/itex] but [itex]\tan^{-1} 1=\pi/4[/itex], not 1.

BTW, this integrates directly to

[tex]-\;\frac 1 4 \left.\left(\theta + \sin2\theta+\frac 1 4\sin4\theta\right)\right|_0^{\pi/4}[/tex]

can someone link me to a site describing well the transformation of integral limits, I've been shown a lot but never understood it well, thanks.

anyway i got up to [tex] \int \frac {d \theta}{sec^4 \theta}[/tex]
i don't know what limits to put in there

all you do is evaluate your current limits with your substitution

my limits are from 0 to 1

my chosen substitution is tangent, so i set my current limits equal to my substitution

tangent = 0 and tangent = 1

where does tangent equal 0 and 1? solve for that, and those are your new limits, respectively

thus

[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}(1+2\cos{2\theta}+\cos{4\theta})d\theta[/tex]

this is done so that there is no need to re-substitute.

Suppose you can rewrite some function [itex]f(x)[/itex] as [itex]h(g(x))g'(x)[/itex]. This is what makes u-substitution viable for solving a integration problem. Applying the u-substitution [itex]u=g(x)[/itex] to the indefinite integral of f(x),

[tex]
\int f(x) dx = \int h(g(x))g'(x)dx
\begin{matrix} \\[-8pt] \longrightarrow \\[-10pt] ^{u=g(x)} \end{matrix}
\int h(u) du
[/tex]

In applying the u-substitution to a definite integral, you must apply the substitution to the integration limits as well as to the integrand:

[tex]
\int_{x=a}^{x=b} f(x) dx = \int_{x=a}^{x=b} h(g(x))g'(x)dx
\begin{matrix} \\[-8pt] \longrightarrow \\[-10pt] ^{u=g(x)} \end{matrix}
\int_{u=g(a)}^{u=g(b)} h(u) du
[/tex]

In this case, the u-substitution is [itex]x=\tan\theta[/itex] or [itex]u=\tan^{-1}x[/itex]. Applying the u-substitution to this problem,

[tex]
\int_{x=0}^{x=1} \frac{x^2-1}{(x^2+1)^3}dx\,
\begin{matrix} \\[-8pt] \longrightarrow \\[-8pt] ^{\theta=\tan^{-1}(x)} \end{matrix}\,
\int_{\theta=\tan^{-1} (0)}^{\theta=\tan^{-1} (1)} 1+2\cos2\theta + \cos4\theta d\theta
[/tex]

Finally [itex]\tan^{-1}(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]\tan^{-1}(1) = \pi/4[/itex].

Spam! Somebody please delete the previous post (#20). As that will make this post #20, you can delete it, too.

Related to Integral, hmm where did i mess up?

1. What is integral and how is it related to calculus?

Integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is closely related to calculus, as it is one of the fundamental principles of calculus.

2. Can you explain the concept of "messing up" in an integral?

"Messing up" in an integral refers to making a mistake in the process of solving it. This can happen due to a miscalculation, using the wrong formula, or not following the correct steps.

3. How does one know if they have made a mistake in an integral?

If the final answer does not match the expected result or if the steps used to solve the integral do not align with the correct method, it is likely that a mistake has been made.

4. What are some common errors when solving an integral?

Some common errors when solving an integral include using the wrong formula, making a calculation mistake, not following the correct order of operations, or forgetting to include the constant of integration.

5. How can one avoid making mistakes in an integral?

To avoid making mistakes in an integral, it is important to carefully follow the correct steps and double check all calculations. It can also be helpful to use multiple methods to solve the integral and compare the results to ensure accuracy.