Integral involving square and log

In summary: In fact, I believe the Lambert W function is a good approximation for the solution to this equation when the domain of integration is restricted to a rectangle with sides of length ##a## and ##b##. The approximation is accurate to within a few percent, depending on the exact values of the constants.
Figaro
I have this integral that when solved, involves squares and natural logs, where ##A\,##,##\,b\,##, and ##\,x_e\,## are constants while ##x## is a variable.

##A = \int_{x_e}^{x} \frac{x^2 - b^2}{x} dx = \int_{x_e}^{x} x \, dx -b^2 \int_{x_e}^{x} \frac{dx}{x} = \frac{x^2}{2} - \frac{x_e^2}{2} - b^2 \ln x + b^2 \ln x_e##

Now, I want to solve for ##x## but I can't think of a way to isolate x, maybe there is a way to integrate this another way and come up with an answer that can isolate x easily or maybe there is something I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I encounter these I first check if Mathematica can solve it in terms of Product Log functions. It can. Then I try to solve it myself using the properties of Product log (or the Lambert W function). Try and investigate these functions and see if you can come up with a solution.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Figaro said:
I have this integral that when solved, involves squares and natural logs, where ##A\,##,##\,b\,##, and ##\,x_e\,## are constants while ##x## is a variable.

##A = \int_{x_e}^{x} \frac{x^2 - b^2}{x} dx = \int_{x_e}^{x} x \, dx -b^2 \int_{x_e}^{x} \frac{dx}{x} = \frac{x^2}{2} - \frac{x_e^2}{2} - b^2 \ln x + b^2 \ln x_e##
First off, it's not good practice to have the same variable as one of the limits of integration and also the variable of integration. Most textbooks would write your integral as ##A = \int_{x_e}^{x} \frac{t^2 - b^2}{t} dt##. There is less chance of becoming confused.
Figaro said:
Now, I want to solve for ##x## but I can't think of a way to isolate x, maybe there is a way to integrate this another way and come up with an answer that can isolate x easily or maybe there is something I'm missing?
No, there is no other way of integration that would do this. Your integral represents a function of x, and as it turns out, the function involves a log term and a term with ##x^2##. There is no analytic way of isolating the variable. The best you can do is use numerical methods to approximate roots of the equation ##A = \frac{x^2}{2} - \frac{x_e^2}{2} - b^2 \ln x + b^2 \ln x_e##.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Mark44 said:
There is no analytic way of isolating the variable.

If $$y=x^2/2-b^2 \log(x)+c$$ then I believe we can solve for x using the Lambert W function. I've not done this one in particular by hand but Mathematica obtains:

$$\left\{\left\{x\to -i b \sqrt{W\left(-\frac{e^{\frac{2 c}{b^2}-\frac{2 y}{b^2}}}{b^2}\right)}\right\},\left\{x\to i b \sqrt{W\left(-\frac{e^{\frac{2 c}{b^2}-\frac{2 y}{b^2}}}{b^2}\right)}\right\}\right\}$$

Is this not an acceptable analytic solution?

aheight said:
If $$y=x^2/2-b^2 \log(x)+c$$ then I believe we can solve for x using the Lambert W function.
Short of that, there's no analytic way. I was thinking about the Lambert W function when I replied earlier, but didn't mention it.

Related to Integral involving square and log

1. What is an integral involving square and log?

An integral involving square and log is a mathematical expression that combines the operation of taking the square of a number and taking the logarithm of a number. It is represented by the formula ∫(log(x))^2 dx, where x is the variable of integration.

2. How do you solve an integral involving square and log?

To solve an integral involving square and log, you can use integration by parts or substitution. First, rewrite the integral as ∫log(x)log(x)dx, then use integration by parts with u = log(x) and dv = log(x)dx. Alternatively, you can also use the substitution u = log(x) to simplify the integral and then solve it using basic integration rules.

3. What is the purpose of integrating a function involving square and log?

The purpose of integrating a function involving square and log is to find the area under the curve of the function. This can be useful in many applications, such as calculating the total amount of a substance used in a chemical reaction or determining the amount of work done in a physics problem.

4. Are there any special techniques for solving integrals involving square and log?

Yes, there are special techniques for solving integrals involving square and log, such as using logarithmic differentiation and the natural logarithm rule. These techniques can simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

5. What are some real-life applications of integrals involving square and log?

Integrals involving square and log have various real-life applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They can be used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and heat transfer. They are also commonly used in financial calculations, such as compound interest and stock market analysis.