Integral of an Exponential function

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to solve an integral but they are not sure how to approach it. They ask for help and someone suggests a possible solution and provides some guidance. The person then mentions finding a similar problem in a research paper and asks for the other person to take a look.
rabbahs
Hello every one,

I was doing my research and then I simply struck at a point.
The point is that i do not know how to solve the following Integral. I am not at all bad at doing math but some times I got blanked.

so, here is the Integral,

Integral.jpg

Integral (infinity,u) exponent^(-u) du

result with derivation or with some reference will be highly appreciated.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Err, that doesn't really make sense. Do you mean,
[tex]\int_{u}^\infty e^{-v} \, dv[/tex]
by any chance (with the boundaries in the correct order and where the integration variable is a dummy not occurring in the integration boundary).

ok, if it is the case then what will be the answer ?

In a research paper, I found a solution to a similar problem.

Integral.jpg

please look at it

rabbahs said:
In a research paper, I found a solution to a similar problem.

View attachment 26661

please look at it
This is not that similar. Your problem, assuming that it is as CompuChip suggested, is
[tex]\int_u^{\infty} e^{-v}dv[/tex]

First, find an antiderivative using substitution.
Second, evaluate the improper integral using limits.

This is not a very complicated integral.

FAQ: Integral of an Exponential function

What is the integral of an exponential function?

The integral of an exponential function is the inverse operation of differentiation. It represents the area under the curve of the exponential function.

What is the formula for finding the integral of an exponential function?

The general formula for finding the integral of an exponential function is ∫e^x dx = e^x + C, where C is the constant of integration.

What is the process for solving an integral of an exponential function?

To solve an integral of an exponential function, you can use the power rule, which states that ∫x^n dx = x^(n+1)/(n+1) + C. You can also use integration by parts or substitution methods.

What are the applications of integrals of exponential functions?

Integrals of exponential functions have various applications in mathematics and science, including calculating compound interest, population growth, and radioactive decay.

Is there a shortcut for finding the integral of an exponential function?

Yes, for exponential functions of the form e^x, the integral is simply e^x + C. However, for more complex exponential functions, there is no shortcut and you will need to use integration techniques.