Integral of an exponential function

In summary, The integral can be solved using integration by parts, with the substitution u = e^-t and dv = t^-2 dt. After using this substitution, one term in the solution can be rewritten as integral(1/te^t), which can be solved using the identity from integral tables. The final step is taking limits to get the solution.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey guys.

How do I solve this integral?

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/208/68315659.png

I've not been doing this for a long time :)

Thanks a lot.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Show some work, and explain what tools you have to work with. Definite integrals can be computed in many ways.

You can use integration by parts. Using u = e^-t and dv = t^-2 dt

JetteroHeller said:
You can use integration by parts. Using u = e^-t and dv = t^-2 dt

Yeah, but then I'll get some kind of Ln(t)*e^-t, no?

Actually you may want to check convergence.

I was actually thinking:
you perform integration by parts once to reduce t^2 to t.
Result is that one of the terms is integral((e^-t)/t)
Rewrite that term to become integral(1/te^t)

use the following identity from integral tables: integral(ue^u) = (u-1)e^u
the rest is taking limits.

FAQ: Integral of an exponential function

1. What is the integral of an exponential function?

The integral of an exponential function is a mathematical operation that calculates the area under the curve of an exponential function. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is used to find the exact value of the function at a specific point or over a certain interval.

2. How is the integral of an exponential function calculated?

The integral of an exponential function can be calculated using various methods such as substitution, integration by parts, or using tables of integrals. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the function.

3. What is the importance of the integral of an exponential function?

The integral of an exponential function is important in many fields of science and engineering, as it allows for the calculation of various physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It is also used in probability and statistics to calculate the area under probability density curves.

4. Can the integral of an exponential function be negative?

Yes, the integral of an exponential function can be negative. This can occur when the function is below the x-axis and the area under the curve is calculated in the opposite direction.

5. Is it possible to integrate any exponential function?

Yes, any exponential function can be integrated using the appropriate methods. However, the resulting integral may be expressed in terms of special functions or cannot be evaluated in a closed form, requiring the use of numerical methods.

Back