Integral of angular functions over d-dim solid angle

In summary: I_1 = \frac{\pi}{2}$, which is not zero as you suggested. For the second integral, we have $I_2 = \frac{\pi}{2} + \mathcal{O}(\epsilon)$, which is also not zero.In summary, using dimensional regularization, we can compute the integrals $\int d\Omega_d\cos\theta$ and $\int d\Omega_d\cos^2\theta$ in arbitrary dimensions $d$ and the results are $\frac{\pi}{2}$ and $\frac{\pi}{2} + \mathcal{O}(\epsilon)$ respectively.
Einj
Hello everyone! I have a question about angular integration in arbitrary d dimensions. The interest comes from the need to use dimensional regularization. Suppose I start with a 2-dimensional integral and then I have to move to [itex]d=2-\epsilon[/itex] dimension to regularize my integral. Now, suppose [itex]\theta[/itex] is the polar angle in the original 2 dimensions and now I want to compute the following integrals:

$$
\int d\Omega_d\cos\theta ,
$$
$$
\int d\Omega_d\cos^2\theta.
$$

What is the result? Can I still say that the first integral is zero? What about the second?

Thanks a lot!

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello! Thank you for your question about angular integration in arbitrary d dimensions. Dimensional regularization is a powerful technique used in theoretical physics to handle divergent integrals in higher dimensions.

To answer your question, let's first define the integral in question as:

$$
I = \int d\Omega_d\cos^k\theta ,
$$

where $k$ is any integer. In this case, $k=1$ for the first integral and $k=2$ for the second.

In dimensional regularization, we introduce a small parameter $\epsilon$ to represent the deviation from the original dimension. In your case, we have $d=2-\epsilon$.

To compute the integral in $d$ dimensions, we can use the following formula:

$$
I_d = \int d\Omega_d\cos^k\theta = \frac{2\pi^{\frac{d}{2}}}{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}\int_0^{\pi}\sin^{d-2}\theta\cos^k\theta d\theta ,
$$

where $\Gamma$ is the Gamma function. Plugging in $d=2-\epsilon$ and expanding the integrand in powers of $\epsilon$, we get:

$$
I_{2-\epsilon} = \frac{2\pi^{\frac{2-\epsilon}{2}}}{\Gamma(\frac{2-\epsilon}{2})}\int_0^{\pi}\sin^{\epsilon}\theta\left(1 + \frac{\epsilon}{2}\cos^2\theta + \mathcal{O}(\epsilon^2)\right)d\theta .
$$

Using the fact that $\Gamma(\frac{1}{2}) = \sqrt{\pi}$ and expanding the Gamma function to first order in $\epsilon$, we can simplify the above expression to:

$$
I_{2-\epsilon} = \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{\pi}}\left(1 - \frac{\epsilon}{2}\ln\frac{\pi}{2} + \mathcal{O}(\epsilon^2)\right)\left(\frac{\pi}{2} + \mathcal{O}(\epsilon)\right) .
$$

Finally, taking the limit $\epsilon \rightarrow 0$, we get the result:

$$
I_2 = \frac{\pi}{2} .
$$

Therefore, for the first integral, we have

Related to Integral of angular functions over d-dim solid angle

1. What is the integral of angular functions over d-dim solid angle?

The integral of angular functions over d-dim solid angle is a mathematical concept used in the field of physics, specifically in the study of electromagnetic radiation. It involves calculating the total amount of energy emitted or received by a point in space from all directions within a given solid angle. This integral is important in understanding the behavior and properties of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is the integral of angular functions over d-dim solid angle calculated?

The integral of angular functions over d-dim solid angle can be calculated using various mathematical techniques, such as spherical harmonics, Legendre polynomials, or Monte Carlo methods. The specific method used depends on the problem being solved and the level of accuracy required.

3. What are some applications of the integral of angular functions over d-dim solid angle?

The integral of angular functions over d-dim solid angle has various applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in the analysis of radiation patterns of antennas, in the calculation of radiative heat transfer in thermal systems, and in the study of scattering of particles or waves. It is also used in computer graphics for rendering images with realistic lighting effects.

4. What are the limitations of using the integral of angular functions over d-dim solid angle?

While the integral of angular functions over d-dim solid angle is a useful tool in many applications, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it assumes the radiation is isotropic, meaning it is emitted or received equally in all directions. In reality, this is not always the case, and the integral may need to be modified to account for directional effects.

5. Can the integral of angular functions over d-dim solid angle be applied to any type of radiation?

Yes, the integral of angular functions over d-dim solid angle can be applied to various types of radiation, including electromagnetic radiation (such as light and radio waves), acoustic radiation, and thermal radiation. However, the specific equations used may differ depending on the type of radiation being considered.