Integral of Logarithms + Trig Functions

In summary, the conversation was about finding the integral of Sec(x)/((ln(tan(x)+sec(x))^1/2), and the use of the substitution method with u = Ln(tan(x)+sec(x)). The confusion was resolved when it was pointed out that du = Sec(x)dx and the integral of 1/(u^1/2) is 2(u^1/2).
Blues_MTA

Homework Statement

Sec(x)/((ln(tan(x)+sec(x))^1/2)

We were instructed to find the integral

Homework Equations

Here is a link to the wolfram solution, i don't understand the steps they tookhttp://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Integral+of+Sec%28x%29%2F%28%28ln%28sec%28x%29%2Btan%28x%29%29^1%2F2%29%29

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that using the substitution method using u = Ln(tan(x)+sec(x))

du = Sec(x)^2+tan(x)Sec(x)/Sec(x)+Tan(x) dx

I do not understand how to substitute this and get 1/((u)^1/2) which is according to wolfram, I don't understand how the substitution method eliminates the Sec from the numerator, Later they evaluate that 1/(u^(1/2)) as 2((u)^1/2) can someone please explain these intermediate steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
Observe that du=sec(x)dx. Can you do it now?

So, du = Sec(x)^2+tan(x)Sec(x)/Sec(x)+Tan(x) dx, reduces to sec(x)dx?

Blues_MTA said:
So, du = Sec(x)^2+tan(x)Sec(x)/Sec(x)+Tan(x) dx, reduces to sec(x)dx?

Yes, just factor sec(x) in the numerator.

Ah! Thank you, I've been looking at it for so long i didnt even see that! the only thing left is that i don't understand how the integral of 1/(u^1/2) is 2(u^1/2)

Blues_MTA said:
Ah! Thank you, I've been looking at it for so long i didnt even see that! the only thing left is that i don't understand how the integral of 1/(u^1/2) is 2(u^1/2)

In, general, what is the integral of un?? You must have seen a special formula for that...

HaHa...wow I see it all now, I need to sleep, Thank you so much!

FAQ: Integral of Logarithms + Trig Functions

What is the integral of logarithms plus trigonometric functions?

The integral of logarithms plus trigonometric functions is a mathematical operation that involves finding the antiderivative of a function that combines logarithmic and trigonometric terms. It is commonly used in calculus to solve problems involving rates of change and area under a curve.

How do I solve integrals of logarithms plus trigonometric functions?

To solve integrals of logarithms plus trigonometric functions, you can use various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. It is important to carefully choose the appropriate method depending on the form of the integral.

What are some common examples of integrals of logarithms plus trigonometric functions?

Some common examples of integrals of logarithms plus trigonometric functions include integrals of the form ∫ln(x)sin(x)dx, ∫ln(x)cos(x)dx, and ∫ln(x)tan(x)dx. These integrals can be solved using different techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities.

Why are integrals of logarithms plus trigonometric functions important?

Integrals of logarithms plus trigonometric functions are important in calculus and many other branches of mathematics. They are used to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and area under a curve. They also have applications in physics, engineering, and economics.

Are there any tips for solving integrals of logarithms plus trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are some tips that can make solving integrals of logarithms plus trigonometric functions easier. These include identifying common patterns, using trigonometric identities, and carefully choosing the appropriate integration technique. It is also important to practice and familiarize yourself with different types of integrals.