Integral Over CFds: Homework Statement & Eqns

• Thread starter dylanhouse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the problem involves calculating the integral over a curve of a vector field F = (x^2+y)i + (y-x)j, where the curve is given by r = (t, t^2) and t goes from 0 to 1. The correct integral should be written as ##\int\vec F\cdot \vec r'(t)~dt##.
dylanhouse

Homework Statement

For F = (x^2+y)i + (y-x)j, calculate the integral over C of Fds for r = (t, t^2) where t goes from 0 to 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the integral over C of fds is f*sqrt(r'(t)^2+r^2*theta'(t)^2) dt. But I have no theta in this question, is this the wrong integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
dylanhouse said:

Homework Statement

For F = (x^2+y)i + (y-x)j, calculate the integral over C of Fds for r = (t, t^2) where t goes from 0 to 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the integral over C of fds is f*sqrt(r'(t)^2+r^2*theta'(t)^2) dt. But I have no theta in this question, is this the wrong integral?

Yes, that's the wrong integral. This problem has nothing to do with polar coordinates. You have ##\vec r(t) =\langle x(t),y(t)\rangle = \langle t,t^2\rangle##. Write the integral in terms of ##t##.

So F would be (2t^2)i + (t^2 - t)j. And dr is just <1, 2t>dt. But how would I integrate with respect to ds if I end up with a dt?

dylanhouse said:
So F would be (2t^2)i + (t^2 - t)j. And dr is just <1, 2t>dt. But how would I integrate with respect to ds if I end up with a dt?

Your integral is stated with an Fds. I don't think that is an arc length integral, but then you haven't told us what that notation means. F is a vector. What is ds? I would assume you mean ##\vec F\cdot d\vec s## which might otherwise be written ##\vec F\cdot \hat T~ds## or ##\vec F\cdot d\vec r##. In any case I expect you would evaluate it as ##\int\vec F\cdot \vec r'(t)~dt##.

Related to Integral Over CFds: Homework Statement & Eqns

What is an integral over CFds?

An integral over CFds refers to the process of calculating the area under a curve, where the curve is described by a set of complex numbers, known as CFds. This is done by using a mathematical tool called the integral, which is represented by the symbol ∫.

Why is it important to understand integrals over CFds?

Integrals over CFds have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They allow us to calculate quantities such as area, volume, and displacement, which are important in solving real-world problems. Understanding integrals over CFds is also crucial for further studies in advanced mathematics and physics.

What are some common equations used in integrals over CFds?

Some common equations used in integrals over CFds include the Riemann integral, the Lebesgue integral, and the Cauchy integral. These equations differ in their approach and are used in different situations, but they all serve the purpose of calculating the area under a curve.

What are some challenges in solving integrals over CFds?

Solving integrals over CFds can be challenging as it requires a good understanding of complex numbers, as well as knowledge of various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It also requires practice and patience to develop the skills needed to solve complex integrals.

How can I improve my skills in solving integrals over CFds?

To improve your skills in solving integrals over CFds, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and complex analysis. Practice regularly to develop your problem-solving skills and try to understand the underlying concepts behind each integral. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to get a better understanding of the subject.