Integral over gaussian pdf where parameters depend on integrand

In summary, we are trying to solve the integral$$\int_a^b \mathcal{N}(f(t),g(t)) dt$$where $\mathcal{N}$ is the normal distribution and $f(x_1,...,x_n,t): \mathbb{R}^{n+1} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$, $g(x_1,...,x_n,t): \mathbb{R}^{n+1} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$, with the mean and variance changing with t. We can use the fact that the normal distribution is closed under linear transformation to rewrite the integral as a limit of Riemann sums. This leads to solving two integr
ariberth
Hallo math helpers ,
i am trying to understand how one could solve the following integrall:
$$\int_a^b \mathcal{N}(f(x_1,...,x_n,t),g(x_1,...,x_n,t)) dt$$, where $$\mathcal{N}$$ is the normal distribution, and $$f(x_1,...,x_n,t): \mathbb{R}^{n+1} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$$, $$g(x_1,...,x_n,t): \mathbb{R}^{n+1} \rightarrow
\mathbb{R}$$. So the mean and variance changes with t . I read that $$\mathcal{N}(\mu_1,\sigma_1) + \mathcal{N}(\mu_2,\sigma_2) = \mathcal{N}(\mu_1 + \mu_2,\sigma_1+\sigma_2)$$ Does that mean that i just need to integrate f and g respectively?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
ariberth said:
Hallo math helpers ,
i am trying to understand how one could solve the following integrall:
$$\int_a^b \mathcal{N}(f(x_1,...,x_n,t),g(x_1,...,x_n,t)) dt$$, where $$\mathcal{N}$$ is the normal distribution, and $$f(x_1,...,x_n,t): \mathbb{R}^{n+1} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$$, $$g(x_1,...,x_n,t): \mathbb{R}^{n+1} \rightarrow
\mathbb{R}$$. So the mean and variance changes with t .

Hi ariberth! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)

Since $x_1,...,x_n$ are not referenced anywhere, we can assume them to be constant and reduce the problem to:
$$\int_a^b \mathcal{N}(f(t),g(t)) dt$$

I read that $$\mathcal{N}(\mu_1,\sigma_1) + \mathcal{N}(\mu_2,\sigma_2) = \mathcal{N}(\mu_1 + \mu_2,\sigma_1+\sigma_2)$$ Does that mean that i just need to integrate f and g respectively?:confused:

Not quite. It's a little more complex.
It should be:
$$\mathcal{N}(\mu_1,\sigma_1) + \mathcal{N}(\mu_2,\sigma_2) = \mathcal{N}(\mu_1 + \mu_2,\sqrt{\sigma_1^2+\sigma_2^2})$$
or with an alternative and easier notation:
$$\mathcal{N}(\mu_1,\sigma_1^2) + \mathcal{N}(\mu_2,\sigma_2^2) = \mathcal{N}(\mu_1 + \mu_2,\sigma_1^2+\sigma_2^2)$$We can write the integral as the limit of, say, a Left Riemann Sum (see the definition of a Riemann integral):
$$\int_a^b \mathcal{N}(f(t),g(t)) dt = \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \mathcal{N}(f(t_i),g(t_i)) \Delta t
$$
where $\Delta t = \frac{b-a}n$ and $t_i = a + i\Delta t$.Let's pick an example.

Suppose we pick $a=0, b=1, f(t)=t, g(t)=1$, and $n=2$.
What will be the Riemann sum:
$$\sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \mathcal{N}(f(t_i),g(t_i)) \Delta t$$
? (Wondering)

And what if we pick $n=4$?

I like Serena said:
Let's pick an example.

Suppose we pick $a=0, b=1, f(t)=t, g(t)=1$, and $n=2$.
What will be the Riemann sum:
$$\sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \mathcal{N}(f(t_i),g(t_i)) \Delta t$$
? (Wondering)

And what if we pick $n=4$?

Thanks a lott for the tip with the rieman sums. Following your hint i discovered that i can use the fact that the normal is closed under linear transformation. So for the first example where $a=0, b=1, f(t)=t, g(t)=1$, and $n=2$ this leads to:
$$\sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \mathcal{N}(f(t_i),g(t_i)) \Delta t = \sum_{i=0}^{1} \mathcal{N}(i\frac{1}{2},1) \frac{1}{2} = (\mathcal{N}(0,1) + \mathcal{N}(\frac{1}{2},1)) \frac{1}{2} = \mathcal{N}(\frac{1}{2},2) \frac{1}{2} = \mathcal{N}(\frac{1}{4},\frac{1}{2})$$
Using that, in the limit this would lead to: $$\lim_{x \to \infty} \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \mathcal{N}(f(t_i),g(t_i)) \Delta t = \lim_{x \to \infty} \mathcal{N}( \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}\Delta tf(t_i), \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}(\Delta t) ^2g(t_i)) $$ Is that correct?

ariberth said:
Thanks a lott for the tip with the rieman sums. Following your hint i discovered that i can use the fact that the normal is closed under linear transformation. So for the first example where $a=0, b=1, f(t)=t, g(t)=1$, and $n=2$ this leads to:
$$\sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \mathcal{N}(f(t_i),g(t_i)) \Delta t = \sum_{i=0}^{1} \mathcal{N}(i\frac{1}{2},1) \frac{1}{2} = (\mathcal{N}(0,1) + \mathcal{N}(\frac{1}{2},1)) \frac{1}{2} = \mathcal{N}(\frac{1}{2},2) \frac{1}{2} = \mathcal{N}(\frac{1}{4},\frac{1}{2})$$
Using that, in the limit this would lead to: $$\lim_{x \to \infty} \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \mathcal{N}(f(t_i),g(t_i)) \Delta t = \lim_{x \to \infty} \mathcal{N}( \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}\Delta tf(t_i), \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}(\Delta t) ^2g(t_i)) $$ Is that correct?

Yep - assuming that g(t) is the variance instead of the standard deviation. (Nod)

So that means i have to solve the following two integralls:

$$\lim\limits_{i \to \infty}\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}\Delta tf(t_i)$$ and $$ \lim\limits_{i \to \infty}\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}(\Delta t) ^2g(t_i)$$
The first one is easy since: $$\lim\limits_{i \to \infty}\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}f(t_i) \Delta t= \int_a^b f(t) dt$$
and i just have to find the anti-derivative of f.

Is there a way to do the same thing with the second:
$$ \lim\limits_{i \to \infty}\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}g(t_i) (\Delta t) ^2 = ??$$

Good!

Let's do another example.
Or rather, the same example with n=4.
What's the pattern?

$$\sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \mathcal{N}(f(t_i),g(t_i)) \Delta t = \sum_{i=0}^{3} \mathcal{N}(i\frac{1}{4},1) \frac{1}{2} =\frac{1}{4}(\mathcal{N}(0,1) + \mathcal{N}(\frac{1}{4},1) + \mathcal{N}(\frac{2}{4},1) +\mathcal{N}(\frac{3}{4},1)) = \frac{1}{4} \mathcal{N}(\frac{6}{4},4) = \mathcal{N}(\frac{6}{16},\frac{4}{16})$$ The only pattern i see is that the scalar from $$\Delta t$$ is the inverse of the variance but that depends on how g is chosen. So i don't really know what the pattern is...:confused:

ariberth said:
$$\sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \mathcal{N}(f(t_i),g(t_i)) \Delta t = \sum_{i=0}^{3} \mathcal{N}(i\frac{1}{4},1) \frac{1}{2} =\frac{1}{4}(\mathcal{N}(0,1) + \mathcal{N}(\frac{1}{4},1) + \mathcal{N}(\frac{2}{4},1) +\mathcal{N}(\frac{3}{4},1)) = \frac{1}{4} \mathcal{N}(\frac{6}{4},4) = \mathcal{N}(\frac{6}{16},\frac{4}{16})$$ The only pattern i see is that the scalar from $$\Delta t$$ is the inverse of the variance but that depends on how g is chosen. So i don't really know what the pattern is...:confused:

The pattern is that $\mu$ approaches $\frac 1 2$ as expected, since $\int f(t)dt = \int_0^1 t\,dt = \frac 12$.
And we see that $\sigma^2$ becomes smaller and smaller, approaching 0.

Indeed, $\sum g(t_i) \Delta t$ approaches $\int g(t)dt$.
So multiplying it with another $\Delta t$ makes it approach 0.

This is equivalent to the fact that when you take averages long enough (ad infinitum), finally you will be left with the expected mean and negligible variance.

I like Serena said:
The pattern is that $\mu$ approaches $\frac 1 2$ as expected, since $\int f(t)dt = \int_0^1 t\,dt = \frac 12$.
And we see that $\sigma^2$ becomes smaller and smaller, approaching 0.

Indeed, $\sum g(t_i) \Delta t$ approaches $\int g(t)dt$.
So multiplying it with another $\Delta t$ makes it approach 0.

This is equivalent to the fact that when you take averages long enough (ad infinitum), finally you will be left with the expected mean and negligible variance.

I don't believe it. So the variance allways aproaches 0, no matter what choice of g i take?

ariberth said:
I don't believe it. So the variance allways aproaches 0, no matter what choice of g i take?

Yup.

Well... maybe if you have a $g$ that approaches infinity...
... or take an interval that is infinitely large...

FAQ: Integral over gaussian pdf where parameters depend on integrand

1. What is a Gaussian PDF?

A Gaussian PDF, or Gaussian probability density function, is a type of probability distribution that is commonly used in statistics and probability theory. It is also known as a normal distribution and is characterized by a bell-shaped curve.

2. What does it mean for parameters to depend on the integrand?

When parameters depend on the integrand, it means that the values of the parameters change depending on the function being integrated. This can affect the shape and behavior of the integral and may require special techniques for evaluation.

3. How is an integral over a Gaussian PDF calculated?

To calculate an integral over a Gaussian PDF, you can use various methods such as numerical integration, series expansion, or special functions like the error function. The specific approach will depend on the complexity of the integrand and the desired level of accuracy.

4. What is the relationship between the integral and the parameters in a Gaussian PDF?

The parameters in a Gaussian PDF, such as the mean and standard deviation, affect the shape and location of the curve. The integral over the PDF can be used to calculate probabilities for a given range of values, with the parameters determining the specific probabilities for that range.

5. Can the integral over a Gaussian PDF be simplified if the parameters are constant?

Yes, if the parameters in the Gaussian PDF are constant, then the integral can be simplified using standard integration techniques. However, if the parameters are variable, the integral may require more advanced methods for evaluation.