Integral physics, me understand a thing with respect to integration

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinitesimals and their role in calculus and physics. The equation a*dt = dv is interpreted as meaning that the change in velocity is the integral of the acceleration, and can be rearranged to give the acceleration in terms of the change in velocity and time. The concept of infinitesimals was revived in the twentieth century and is still used in various fields of mathematics and science.
christian0710
Hi, I'm trying to understand why

When you write a*dt = dv then you can write the integral like this.,

∫dv (from v0 to vt) = ∫a*dt (from 0 to t)

My challenge is this: from the equation a*dt = dv, the term "dv" geometrically means an infenitesimalle small change in function value of the function v(t), so dv must be an integer. So you are integrating an integer, dv, and the graph of an integer is a straight horizontal line on the v(t) vs t axis. so is it correctly understood that if we assume dv= 1 then the integral of dv should just be v. But here is the part i don't understand, the lower and upper bounds are v0 and v, usually the limits of integration are limits on the x-axis and Not on the Y-axis (or V(t) axis), so should i interprete dv as an integer whose function has Velocity on the x axis? This just does not make sense to me,

Here is a photo of what is written in the book.,

Attachments

• integral physics.PNG
    integral physics.PNG
    12.3 KB · Views: 578
Physics news on Phys.org
dv must be an integer
Absolutely no.

All the equation is saying is that the change in velocity is the integral of the acceleration.

christian0710 said:
so dv must be an integer

Why do you think that?

christian0710 said:
and the graph of an integer is a straight horizontal line on the v(t) vs t axis

Are you perhaps confusing the words "integer" and "constant"?

dv = a*dt just means that an acceleration creates a change in velocity. The amount of change can be calculated using integration (or in the simple case, where the acceleration is constant, multiplying the acceleration by the time passed).

The equation can be rearranged to give you ##a=\frac{dv}{dt}## , and dividing two infinitely small numbers results in a definite one(##a## over here). Note that both ##dv## and ##dt## mean changes in the respective quantities over an infinitesimally small interval, and this in no way suggests that they always equal to an integer. It appears that you've misunderstood the concept of the ##dx## terminology, so I recommend that you go through this article: http://www.felderbooks.com/papers/dx.html

PWiz said:
an infinitesimally small interval

I always thought that "infinitesimals" concept died out around 1880...

Svein said:
With the ##dx## notation, yes.

Svein said:
Maybe for certain schools of pure mathematicians, but the infinitesimal concept was revived in the TwenCen to serve as a basis for calculus and analysis.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinitesimal

As you might have noticed, infinitesimals still heavily populate texts on physics and calculus, among other subjects.

Well, having the equivalent of a Master's in complex analysis, that makes me a "pure mathematician", I suppose.

Svein said:
Well, having the equivalent of a Master's in complex analysis, that makes me a "pure mathematician", I suppose.
Well I haven't even finished high school yet, makes me feel a tad bit insecure haha

Related to Integral physics, me understand a thing with respect to integration

What is integral physics?

Integral physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental principles and laws governing the behavior of complex systems. It combines concepts from traditional physics, such as mechanics and electromagnetism, with ideas from mathematics, philosophy, and other fields to understand the interconnectedness and holistic nature of the universe.

How does integral physics relate to integration?

Integration is the process of finding the area under a curve, and it is a fundamental concept in integral physics. Integral physicists use integration to analyze the behavior of complex systems, such as the flow of energy and matter, and to understand how different variables are interconnected and affect each other.

What are some real-world applications of integral physics?

Integral physics has many practical applications, such as in understanding weather patterns, economic systems, and biological processes. It is also used in engineering and technology to design and optimize complex systems, such as aircraft and computer networks.

How does integral physics differ from traditional physics?

Integral physics takes a more holistic approach to understanding the universe compared to traditional physics, which tends to focus on isolated systems and reductionist explanations. It also incorporates ideas from other fields, such as philosophy and spirituality, to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the world.

What are the current challenges and future developments in integral physics?

One of the main challenges in integral physics is the development of mathematical and computational tools to analyze and model complex systems. Another area of research is the integration of integral physics with other scientific disciplines, such as biology and sociology, to address global challenges and promote sustainability.