Integral Solution Technique for (1+y^2+z^2)^(-5/2)

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral given is not easily solvable using simple coordinate changes and requires a more clever approach. After converting to polar coordinates, the region of integration becomes complicated and requires splitting into two separate integrals. Using integration by parts and a substitution, the final result can be obtained.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

What technique would you use to do the integral:

[tex]\int_0^1 \int_0^1 dy dz \frac{1}{(1+y^2+z^2)^{5/2}} [/tex]

?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Change to polar coordinates. Then it's trivial.

Not utterly trivial, Rainbow Child:
Although the "radial" integration will go easy enough, the limits for the unit square, as represented in polar coordinates are somewhat nasty.

Yes. But after the integration, he can change back to cartesian coordinates. :smile:

Rainbow Child said:
Yes. But after the integration, he can change back to cartesian coordinates. :smile:
Eeh, no.

We get:
[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{ugly}^{UGLY}\frac{rdrd\d\theta}{(1+r^{2})^{\frac{5}{2}}}=\int_{0}^{2\pi}(|_{ugly}^{UGLY}-\frac{1}{3}(1+r^{2})^{-\frac{3}{2}})d\theta[/tex]
You can't shift this "back" into Cartesian coordinates in any simple, valid manner.

I get

[tex] (\theta_2 - \theta_1)(-1/3 (1+r^2)^{-3/2})|^{r_2}_{r_1} [/tex]

How do I change back to rectangular coordinates?

EDIT: arildno beat me

I would treat 1 + z^2 as A

The solving [tex] \int dy\frac{1}{(A+y^2)^{5/2}} = \frac{2y^3+3Ay}{3A^2(y^2+A)^{3/2}} [/tex] (used mathematica..) I think you can use integral by parts.

Okay, I'll do a bit more:

"ugly" is 0, so it wasn't too ugly after all.

Here's UGLY:
[tex]0\leq\theta\leq\frac{\pi}{4}, r=\frac{1}{\cos\theta}, \frac{\pi}{4}\leq\theta\frac{3\pi}{4}, r=\frac{1}{\sin\theta}[/tex]
and so on around the unit square.

This is not at all simple to go further with.

Maybe there is no reasonable way to do it. Mathematica gave a nice simple answer so I thought there would be. But I was probably wrong.

ehrenfest said:
Maybe there is no reasonable way to do it. Mathematica gave a nice simple answer so I thought there would be. But I was probably wrong.

No, it is probably something far more cleverer than trivial coordinate change that is needed here.

Where did you find this integral?

I got by doing the whole in mathematica:

[tex] \left[ 2z + \sqrt{z^2+1} \left( \frac{2z}{3(z^2+1)} + \frac{z}{3(z^2+1)^2} \right) \right] _{z=0}^1 [/tex]

That must be wrong, malawi, since the given integral is clearly less than 1 in value, whereas yours is greater than 2.

I see no substitution that makes this an easy one. However the direct calculation is not that extreme. However I have to admit I used a little help from the integrator. I changed the variables a bit, z became x, sorry for that. Call [tex]1+y^2=A^2[/tex], the inner integral becomes:

[tex]\int_0^1 \frac{dx}{\left[A^2+x^2\right]^{\frac{5}{2}}}[/tex]

This can be solved using:

[tex]x=A \cdot sinh(t)[/tex]

giving then:

[tex]\int_0^{arcsinh \left(\frac{1}{A}\right)} \frac{dt}{cosh^4(t)}[/tex]

I did this integral with the integrator. After filling in the limits and replacing A again with y,
I got:

[tex]\frac{1}{3 \cdot (1+y^2)^2 \sqrt{2+y^2}}\cdot \left(\frac{5+3y^2}{2+y^2}\right)[/tex]

We are left with the following:

[tex]I=\frac{1}{3}\int_0^1 \frac{5+3y^2} {(1+y^2)^2 \cdot \left(2+y^2\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}dy[/tex]

This integral can also be found using the integrator. After filling in the limits I got:

[tex]I=\frac{1}{18}\left(2\sqrt{3}+\pi\right)[/tex]

Sorry for the integrator use, but it's late and I don't have the time right now to solve them by hand. Can this result be confirmed by anyone?

coomast said:
Can this result be confirmed by anyone?

Yes. I cheated a bit too (used Maple 11) and obtained

[tex]
\frac{\pi}{18}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{9}
[/tex]

arildno said:
Not utterly trivial, Rainbow Child:
Although the "radial" integration will go easy enough, the limits for the unit square, as represented in polar coordinates are somewhat nasty.

You are right, this

Rainbow Child said:
Then it's trivial.

was stupid statement, since I didn't paid much attention to the limits of the integration. Even though the resulting can be evaluted without by hand (but not trivially :smile: !).

The region of integration in polar coordinates becames

[tex]\mathcal{D}_1=\left\{(r,\theta):0<\theta<\frac{\pi}{4},0<r<\frac{1}{\cos\theta}\right\},\, \mathcal{D}_2=\left\{(r,\theta):\frac{\pi}{4}<\theta<\frac{\pi}{2},0<r<\frac{1}{\sin\theta}\right\}[/tex]

thus

[tex]I=\int_0^1 \int_0^1 dx dy \frac{1}{(1+x^2+y^2)^{5/2}}=\int\int_{\mathcal{D}_1}d\theta\,dr\frac{r}{(1+r^2)^{5/2}}+\int\int_{\mathcal{D}_2}d\theta\,dr\frac{r}{(1+r^2)^{5/2}}=I_1+I_2[/tex]

The first integral [tex]I_1[/tex] reads

[tex]I_1=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}d\theta\int_0^{1/\cos\theta}dr\frac{r}{(1+r^2)^{5/2}}=-\frac{1}{3}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}d\theta\left(\frac{1}{(1+1/\cos^2\theta)^{3/2}}-1\right)=-\frac{1}{3}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}d\theta\frac{\cos^3\theta}{(1+\cos^2\theta)^{3/2}}+\frac{\pi}{12}=-\frac{1}{3}\,J_1+\frac{\pi}{12}[/tex]

The integral [tex]J_1[/tex] reads

[tex]J_1=\int_0^{\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}d(\sin\theta)\frac{\cos^2\theta}{(1+\cos^2\theta)^{3/2}}=\int_0^{\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}d(\sin\theta)\frac{1-\sin^2\theta}{(2-\sin^2\theta)^{3/2}}}}=\int_0^{\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}dt\frac{2-t^2}{(2-t^2)^{3/2}}-\int_0^{\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}dt\frac{1}{(2-t^2)^{3/2}}=\arcsin\frac{t}{\sqrt{2}}\Big|_0^{\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}-\frac{t}{2\,\sqrt{2-t^2}}\Big|_0^{\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}\Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]J_1=\frac{\pi}{6}-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{6}\Rightarrow I_1=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{18}+\frac{\pi}{36}[/tex]

Similary for the 2nd integral [tex]I_2[/tex] we have

[tex]I_2=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{18}+\frac{\pi}{36}[/tex]

yielding to

[tex]I=\frac{\pi}{18}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{9}[/tex]

as coomast and Troels posted.

Obviously not trivial! :smile:

Supercool, RainbowChild, tenacity's reward to you! :smile:

FAQ: Integral Solution Technique for (1+y^2+z^2)^(-5/2)

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a specific interval. It is the reverse process of differentiation, and it is used to solve a wide range of problems in mathematics and science.

2. Why is it important to know how to solve integrals?

Integrals are essential in many scientific and engineering fields, including physics, chemistry, economics, and more. They allow us to calculate important quantities such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, and work. Having a strong understanding of integrals is crucial for solving real-world problems and making accurate predictions.

3. What are the different techniques to solve integrals?

There are several techniques for solving integrals, including substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, trigonometric substitution, and more. Each technique is useful for different types of integrals and can be applied depending on the complexity of the problem.

4. How do I know which technique to use to solve a specific integral?

The choice of technique depends on the form of the integral. Some integrals may be solved using more than one technique, while others may require a specific approach. It is essential to analyze the integral and try different techniques until a solution is found.

5. Can integrals be solved using software or calculators?

Yes, integrals can be solved using software or calculators, but it is still necessary to have a basic understanding of the different techniques to verify the accuracy of the solution. Additionally, some integrals may be too complex for software or calculators to solve, so having a strong grasp of the techniques is essential for tackling these problems.