Integral - substitution method problem

In summary: The substitution is basically done to transform the integral into a form that we already know how to integrate, using trigonometric identities.
Yankel
Hello all

I am working on this integral

\[\int \frac{x^{2}+1}{x^{4}+1}dx\]Now, I have tried this way:

\[u=x^{2}+1\]

after I did:

\[\int \frac{x^{2}+1}{\left ( x^{2}+1 \right )\left ( x^{2}-1 \right )}dx\]

But I got stuck, I got:

\[\frac{1}{2}\cdot \int \frac{1}{u\sqrt{u-1}}dx\]

I thought of making another substitution, but I tried and failed. Help required :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Hello all

I am working on this integral

\[\int \frac{x^{2}+1}{x^{4}+1}dx\]Now, I have tried this way:

\[u=x^{2}+1\]

after I did:

\[\int \frac{x^{2}+1}{\left ( x^{2}+1 \right )\left ( x^{2}-1 \right )}dx\]

But I got stuck, I got:

\[\frac{1}{2}\cdot \int \frac{1}{u\sqrt{u-1}}dx\]

I thought of making another substitution, but I tried and failed. Help required :confused:

Well first of all, \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} x^4 + 1 \end{align*}\) is NOT equal to \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( x^2 + 1 \right) \left( x^2 - 1 \right) \end{align*}\).

I would try

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} x^4 + 1 &= x^4 + 2x^2 + 1 - 2x^2 \\ &= \left( x^2 + 1 \right) ^2 - \left( \sqrt{2} \, x \right) ^2 \\ &= \left( x^2 - \sqrt{2}\, x + 1 \right) \left( x^2 + \sqrt{2}\,x + 1 \right) \end{align*}\)

and so

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{x^2 + 1}{x^4 + 1}\,dx} &= \int{ \frac{x^2 - \sqrt{2}\,x + 1 + \sqrt{2}\,x}{ \left( x^2 - \sqrt{2}\,x + 1 \right) \left( x^2 + \sqrt{2}\,x + 1 \right) } \, dx} \\ &= \int{ \frac{1}{x^2 + \sqrt{2}\,x + 1} \,dx} + \sqrt{2} \int{ \frac{x}{ \left( x^2 - \sqrt{2}\,x + 1 \right) \left( x^2 + \sqrt{2}\,x + 1 \right) } \, dx} \\ &= \int{ \frac{1}{x^2 + \sqrt{2}\,x + \left( \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \right) ^2 - \left( \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \right) ^2 + 1 } \, dx} + \sqrt{2} \int{ \frac{x}{x^4 + 1} \, dx} \\ &= \int{ \frac{1}{ \left( x + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \right) ^2 + \frac{1}{2} } \, dx} + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \int{ \frac{2x}{ \left( x^2 \right) ^2 + 1 }\, dx} \end{align*}\)

Now in the first integral, let \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} x + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\tan{(\theta)} \implies dx = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\sec^2{(\theta)}\,d\theta \end{align*}\) and in the second integral let \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} x^2 = \tan{(\phi)} \implies 2x\,dx = \sec^2{(\phi)}\,d\phi \end{align*}\) and the integrals become

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{1}{\left( x + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \right) ^2 + \frac{1}{2} } \, dx} + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \int{ \frac{2x}{ \left( x^2 \right) ^2 + 1 } \, dx} &= \int{ \frac{1}{ \left[ \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \tan{(\theta)} \right] ^2 + \frac{1}{2} } \cdot \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\sec^2{(\theta)}\,d\theta } + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \int{ \frac{\sec^2{(\phi)}}{ \tan^2{(\phi)} + 1 } \, d\phi } \\ &= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \int{ \frac{\sec^2{(\theta)}}{ \frac{1}{2}\tan^2{(\theta)} + \frac{1}{2} } \, d\theta} + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \int{ \frac{\sec^2{(\phi)}}{\sec^2{(\phi)}}\,d\phi} \\ &= \sqrt{2} \int{ \frac{\sec^2{(\theta)}}{ \tan^2{(\theta)} + 1 } \, d\theta} + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \int{ 1 \, d\phi } \\ &= \sqrt{2} \int{ \frac{\sec^2{(\theta)}}{\sec^2{(\theta)}}\,d\theta} + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \phi + C_1 \\ &= \sqrt{2} \int{ 1\,d\theta } + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \arctan{ \left( x^2 \right) } + C_1 \\ &= \sqrt{2} \, \theta + C_2 + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\arctan{ \left( x^2 \right) } + C_1 \\ &= \sqrt{2} \arctan{ \left( \sqrt{2}\, x + 1 \right) } + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \arctan{ \left( x^2 \right) } + C \textrm{ where } C = C_1 + C_2 \end{align*}\)

sorry, I thought it was minus when I tried, of course x^4+1 can't go the way I wrote it.

I have a basic question, how did you got to trigonometry ? did you move to polar system or something ? I don't get it. I mean, how did you know you need trigonometry in the first place ?

Thanks !

I would try this method but this is open for any correction

$\displaystyle \int\frac{x^2+1}{x^4+1}dx$

by letting

$\displaystyle u\,=\,x^2$
$\displaystyle du\,=\,2xdx$
$\displaystyle dx\,=\,\frac{du}{2x}$
$\displaystyle x\,=\,u^{\frac{1}{2}}$

can you continue..?

For practice try

\(\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{1+x^4}\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{\sqrt[4]{1+x^4}}\, dx\)

\(\displaystyle \int \frac{x^2}{1+x^4}\, dx\)

They are a little bit tougher .

[*] By the way I have a way to solve the integral using complex numbers , the answer is nasty .

Using partial fractions, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{x^2+1}{x^4+1}\,dx=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{1}{x^2+\sqrt{2}x+1}+\frac{1}{x^2-\sqrt{2}x+1}\,dx\)

Completing the squares...

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{x^2+1}{x^4+1}\,dx=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{1}{\left(x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right)^2+\frac{1}{2}}+\frac{1}{\left(x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right)^2+\frac{1}{2}}\,dx\)

Now, we may simply apply the formula:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{du}{u^2+a^2}=\frac{1}{a}\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{u}{a} \right)+C\)

to get (after simplification):

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{x^2+1}{x^4+1}\,dx=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left(\tan^{-1}\left(\sqrt{2}x+1 \right)+ \tan^{-1}\left(\sqrt{2}x-1 \right) \right)+C\)

Yankel said:
sorry, I thought it was minus when I tried, of course x^4+1 can't go the way I wrote it.

I have a basic question, how did you got to trigonometry ? did you move to polar system or something ? I don't get it. I mean, how did you know you need trigonometry in the first place ?

Thanks !

It's a method known as trigonometric substitution. I suggest you read what Mark has written in post #8 of http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f10/integration-involving-trigonometric-substitutions-5545/.

Related to Integral - substitution method problem

1. What is the substitution method in integral calculus?

The substitution method is a technique used in integral calculus to simplify and solve integrals. It involves substituting a variable in the integral with another variable or expression, making the integral easier to solve.

2. Why is the substitution method used in integrals?

The substitution method is used to simplify integrals, making them easier to solve. It can also help to transform integrals into a more familiar form, making it easier to apply integration rules and techniques.

3. How do I know when to use the substitution method in integrals?

The substitution method is most useful when the integrand (the expression being integrated) contains a complicated function or a variable raised to a power. It is also helpful when the integral has a familiar form that can be substituted with a simpler expression.

4. What are the steps for using the substitution method in integrals?

The steps for using the substitution method are as follows:1. Identify a variable or expression to substitute in the integral.2. Rewrite the integral using the substitution.3. Differentiate the substitution expression and multiply it by the derivative of the substituted variable.4. Substitute the new expression into the integral and solve.

5. Can the substitution method be used for all types of integrals?

No, the substitution method is not applicable to all types of integrals. It is most useful for integrals with a complicated integrand or when the integral has a familiar form that can be substituted with a simpler expression. Other integration techniques, such as integration by parts, may be more suitable for different types of integrals.