Integrals of product of hypergeometric functions

In summary, the conversation is about integrals of the form \int_0^1 {}_p F_q(\{a_1,\ldots,a_p\},\{b_1,\ldots,b_q\},y){}_{p'} F_{q'}(\{a'_1,\ldots,a'_{p'}\},\{b'_1,\ldots,b'_{q'}\},y)dy and the speaker is wondering if there is more information available on these types of integrals. The speaker also mentions that Mathematica and similar programs are unable to express these integrals in terms of known special functions, but believes that it is still possible. Any input on this topic is appreciated.
Pere Callahan
Hello,

I am wondering about integrals of the form

[tex]
\int_0^1 {}_p F_q(\{a_1,\ldots,a_p\},\{b_1,\ldots,b_q\},y){}_{p'} F_{q'}(\{a'_1,\ldots,a'_{p'}\},\{b'_1,\ldots,b'_{q'}\},y)dy
[/tex]

integrals of product of hypergeometric functions.

I know that if the limits of integration were +/- infty the convolution property of Meijer-G functions would give an answer to that question. I also know that for the special case of Bessel functions there are formulas known by Mathematica.

If at least one of the hypergeometric functions, however, is more complicated, Mathematica reaches its limits.

My question is if anyone knows where I could fine more informaiton on this (yes, I checked the handbooks of special functions, and tables of integrals).

Thanks a lot

Pere

Physics news on Phys.org
So maybe I should phrase the question more explicitly. Using recursion formulas and identities for contiguous functions, I am able to reduce the general integrals to
[tex]
\int_0^1 {\operatorname{J}_1(2y) {}_2\operatorname{F}_3(\{1,1\},\{2,2,2\},y)dy}.
[/tex]

As I said, Mathematica and similar programs seem to be unable to express this integrals in terms of known special functions but this does not convince me that it is impossible.

Any input is gratefully appreciated,

pere

FAQ: Integrals of product of hypergeometric functions

What are hypergeometric functions?

Hypergeometric functions are special mathematical functions that are used to express relationships between different types of mathematical objects. They are commonly used in fields such as physics, statistics, and engineering.

What are integrals of product of hypergeometric functions?

Integrals of product of hypergeometric functions refer to mathematical expressions that involve the multiplication of two or more hypergeometric functions, followed by the integration of the resulting expression. These types of integrals can be challenging to solve and often require advanced mathematical techniques.

Why are integrals of product of hypergeometric functions important?

Integrals of product of hypergeometric functions are important because they are used to solve many real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. They also have applications in calculus, differential equations, and other areas of mathematics.

What are some common techniques used to solve integrals of product of hypergeometric functions?

Some common techniques used to solve integrals of product of hypergeometric functions include substitution, integration by parts, and the use of special mathematical identities and formulas. These techniques can be complex and require a strong understanding of calculus and hypergeometric functions.

What are some practical applications of integrals of product of hypergeometric functions?

Integrals of product of hypergeometric functions have many practical applications, such as in the calculation of probabilities in statistics, the analysis of physical systems in physics, and the optimization of engineering designs. They are also used in the development of mathematical models and algorithms in various fields.

Back