Integrals with Common Fractions and Area Under Graph

In summary, the conversation revolved around creating a leveling system for a simple game using a function to calculate the experience needed. The function being used was the area under a function above y=0, specifically the antiderivative of f(x) = x2/5 dx. The conversation also touched on using an inverse function to find the x-value on the graph from a given area, and how to set up the problem in terms of level and experience. The formula for experience given a level was also discussed.
Brokenhope`
I'm working on simple game and am working on a leveling system, using a function to get experience needed. I am using area under a function above y=0.

The first problem, I can't figure out a simple number.

f(x) = x2/5 dx

Then, looking for area, I'm unsure about a really simple thing.

Getting to x3/(3/5)

The last fraction I cannot figure out. Does the 5 move to the top and the 3 bottom?

I know how to calculate the area under the graph (for the leveling system,) but can I reverse engineer to be able to get the x-value on the graph from a given area.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The antiderivative of ##\frac{x^2}{5}## is ##\frac{x^3}{3 \times 5} = \frac{x^3}{15}##.

Thanks, that helped jog my memory.

The other thing I was hoping for finding a solution to.

I'm working on a Flash game and need a level system. Using a function and finding the filled area seems the best way.

The image kind of shows what I am trying to find.

Again, Thanks.

Attachments

• _mathquestion.jpg
    _mathquestion.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 449
Hey BrokenHope.

If your area is analytic then you can just calculate the derivative of that function or better yet, calculate an inverse function that takes a y value and spits out an x value.

The inverse function is the better way especially if your function is not "analytic" and has all kinds of corners and jagged edges.

If the area function always rises for an increasing level of x, then you will always have an inverse function for all values of x.

Thanks for the response, chiro. I actually drew the graph wrong, and I am still a bit confused.

I have a new image of what I am trying to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• _mathquestion2.jpg
    _mathquestion2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 407
You can always check if you got the right answer by using Wolfram|Alpha.

I'm trying to understand how you set up the problem. So ##f(x) = 2\sqrt{x}##, okay sure. But say x=2 we get ##2\sqrt{2} \sim 2.8##. What does that number mean?

I would round that value down to 2, for the "level." As for the experience needed, it would be shaded area from x = 0 to x = 2.

Thanks, hope that makes a bit more sense.

Brokenhope` said:
I would round that value down to 2, for the "level."

Wait a sec. We have f(2) = 2 as the character's level yes. Does the x (not the shaded area), represent the character's current experience score?

As for the experience needed, it would be shaded area from x = 0 to x = 2.

You need to be specific. The experience needed to get from Level 0 to Level 2? Or the experience to get from Level 1 to Level 2?

Thanks for the replies.

I am actually only using the shaded area on the graph.

The shaded area to get to level 2, is the shaded area 0 to 2.

The shaded area is really just a running total of experience. To get to the next level, 3, your experience would be the area shaded from 0 to 3.

What is the formula for getting experience y given some level x?

This should make more sense.

But as a formula for experience/ leveling system, it's really kind of bad... the shaded area represents the experience.

Thanks.

Attachments

• _flashquestion3.jpg
    _flashquestion3.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 392

Related to Integrals with Common Fractions and Area Under Graph

1. What is the purpose of using integrals with common fractions?

Integrals with common fractions are used to find the area under a curve on a graph. This is important in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering, as it allows us to calculate important quantities like displacement and velocity.

2. How do you solve integrals with common fractions?

To solve integrals with common fractions, you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is important to have a good understanding of basic integration rules and techniques to effectively solve these types of integrals.

3. Can integrals with common fractions have negative values?

Yes, integrals with common fractions can have negative values. This can occur when the graph dips below the x-axis, creating a negative area under the curve. It is important to pay attention to the limits of integration when calculating the area under a graph.

4. How does the degree of the polynomial in the numerator and denominator affect integrals with common fractions?

The degree of the polynomial in the numerator and denominator can affect the complexity of solving integrals with common fractions. Generally, the higher the degree, the more challenging the integral will be to solve. However, there are certain techniques, like partial fractions, that can help simplify the process.

5. Are there applications of integrals with common fractions outside of mathematics?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of integrals with common fractions. For example, in biology, integrals with common fractions can be used to calculate the growth rate of a population. In economics, they can be used to determine the total revenue and profit of a business. These are just a few examples of how integrals with common fractions are used in fields outside of mathematics.